Beta 2.0.9 Released

New Apps, versions, features, etc

Beta 2.0.9 Released

New postby marwatk on Sat May 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Here's another beta because, well, why not :)

Here's the list of changes:
* Add move up/down to playlist screen
* Put a note when entering registration that it will always show 'Free Trial' in the app world
* If on playback screen when episode ends and new one starts, switch to new item
* Make a note about where to enter your reg code somewhere
* Add optional anonymous usage tracking for improving the browser (top 10 lists and such)
* Make 'bring to front' setting apply to new keys
* Remove lock screen since we don't need it anymore
* Manually downloaded episodes should have their preserve flag set to ignore them for auto-deletion
* Never show again check box on exit dialog
* Add kb shortcut for downloading an episode (G)

Let me know how it goes. Grab it here

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: Beta 2.0.9 Released

New postby Tripper_ on Sat May 23, 2009 7:21 pm

There should be a way to "Toggle Preserved" while listening to the podcast. Currently you need to browse to the actual directory in order to toggle the preserve. After a podcast has been preserved and 100% listened, you should be able to hit the space bar and it start again from the beginning instead of having to rewind first. Thanks for all your hard work.
Tripper_

New postby marwatk on Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 pm

I'll make sure both of those make it into the final release.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby MADBRADNYC on Sun May 24, 2009 7:54 pm

+1 Marcus.

As far as my requests, things look good. Just one note...

RE: * If on playback screen when episode ends and new one starts, switch to new item.

Great. This is the behavior seen now, although I did want to mention that it is visibly "forced" and looks "harsh" when executed on my 8900. I don't know if I am explaining it correctly, but it seems to "jump" screen displays for a split second. But again, it DOES work.

PS. I still want to thank you for the fix about the "jumping to playlist" after listening to a podcast that is not in the current playlist. :evil:
MADBRADNYC

New postby ammonsd on Mon May 25, 2009 6:05 am

I'm still having the issue with the episodes showing up under the wrong PodCast. In fact, some are even showing up as duplicates!
ammonsd

New postby arkolbus on Mon May 25, 2009 9:36 am

MADBRADNYC wrote:RE: * If on playback screen when episode ends and new one starts, switch to new item.

Great. This is the behavior seen now, although I did want to mention that it is visibly "forced" and looks "harsh" when executed on my 8900. I don't know if I am explaining it correctly, but it seems to "jump" screen displays for a split second. But again, it DOES work.

Seeing the same behavior on my 8330, but the older hardware might--ironically--make it look better, due to the longer processing time. I see it jump back to the playlist, then there's a brief pause, then it jumps to the new playback screen.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby arkolbus on Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 am

marwatk wrote: * Add optional anonymous usage tracking for improving the browser (top 10 lists and such)

A couple concerns regarding the usage tracking (especially since you recommend opening up all the permissions for PT):
-What data is being collected?
-If the user isn't warned or asked regarding the usage tracking, it should probably default to "off" to prevent a backlash
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Mon May 25, 2009 10:06 am

For the usage tracking I plan to write up a wiki page about it and create one of the help popup thingies.

The submission looks like this:
<separator>random key generated on your dev<separator>podcast subscription url 1<separator>podcast subscription url 2<separator>...

So there is a unique key associated with your device, but there's no way to go from that to your PIN, email or anything else (it's used so I can ensure I only count each device once). I may take it out, though, if it causes concern. Other than that all it's posting is the list of podcasts you've subscribed to. I may even go so far as to add a 'prevent inclusion in usage data' at the podcast level.

The only issue with defaulting it off is that I'd get maybe a couple percent of the population using it, which would defeat the purpose (displaying popularity in the podcast browser).

Let me know if you have any additional thoughts.

ammonsd wrote:I'm still having the issue with the episodes showing up under the wrong PodCast. In fact, some are even showing up as duplicates!

Hi there,

Did you use any of the previous betas? (Specifically 2.0.3-2.0.6?)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby diffused on Mon May 25, 2009 10:13 am

arkolbus wrote:
marwatk wrote: * Add optional anonymous usage tracking for improving the browser (top 10 lists and such)

A couple concerns regarding the usage tracking (especially since you recommend opening up all the permissions for PT):
-What data is being collected?
-If the user isn't warned or asked regarding the usage tracking, it should probably default to "off" to prevent a backlash

I also agree, that it should default to off. It took me by surprise.
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby arkolbus on Mon May 25, 2009 10:23 am

If it's just a list of feeds, then I don't mind participating. Full disclosure to the end user is good.

Just be sure to let us know if/when the type of usage data changes (even in beta).
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby MADBRADNYC on Mon May 25, 2009 10:30 am

arkolbus wrote:
MADBRADNYC wrote:RE: * If on playback screen when episode ends and new one starts, switch to new item.

Seeing the same behavior on my 8330, but the older hardware might--ironically--make it look better, due to the longer processing time. I see it jump back to the playlist, then there's a brief pause, then it jumps to the new playback screen.

Oh, that's what is is. LOL. Thanks. It happens so quick and "harsh" that I could not tell. Maybe Marcus can find a way to have it just smoothly change on the display screen, rather than it jump to the playlist first. I don't know if it is actually necessary to DISPLAY playlist first, since the app already "remembers" the next podcast to play INTERNALLY.

Just a thought. :evil:
MADBRADNYC

Return to Announcements