PodTrapper slows down system

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

PodTrapper slows down system

New postby conker on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:00 am

Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's really frustrating....

I love PodTrapper, it does a great job syncing podcasts for me, but it seems to really slow down the entire system.

For example, moving the trackball to select between different items, whether it be desktop icons, messages within the message list, or podcasts within the application itself is severely, severley delayed.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have a Bold, OS Version 4.6.0.266
Platform: 4.0.0.223

Thanks!
conker

Re: PodTrapper slows down system

New postby 0bsrvr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:12 am

No problems what-so-ever for me, but then I'm using a Storm running OS 4.7.0.148 so can't really directly compare with your Bold. But my system is just as speedy as ever. Podtrapper is by far the best app I have for my BlackBerry. :D
0bsrvr

New postby marwatk on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:04 pm

While I'm not entirely sure it's PodTrapper, do you notice the slowdowns when PodTrapper is downloading or playing only? (That's the only time PodTrapper is really doing anything). If you want, the next time you see a slowdown you can shoot me a copy of the logs and I can make sure the downloader isn't going haywire or something.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Shayna on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:37 pm

I seem to notice this when podtrapper is downloading a lot, or my card is full (I have it set to leave 5mb) or if I haven't done a battery pull for a while. I have a BB 8120 running 4.5.0.124

Shayna
Shayna

New postby marwatk on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, I definitely get memory slowdowns after a while (usually when my inbox gets over 800 msgs or so). Unfortunately on my device there's not much I can do (very limited RAM). On the Bold, though, this shouldn't be much of an issue. My guess is it's the slamming of the 3g stuff that's causing it, but I can't test that :(

-Marcus

P.S. PLEASE T-Mobile, release the driftwood already!
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby conker on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:05 pm

A post in another forum suggested the following - turn off icons, and turn on "only allow download during charging". This seemed to help the slowdown. It makes sense, because if you don't have "only download while charging" and you fire up PodTrapper, it likely does all its intensive processing when the application is fired up, queries your current podcasts, update it's internal lists, queries the net for updates, initiate downloads, etc.

I am one who does not like to have a bunch of applications open, and PodTrapper is an app that I only have open when I want to use it. So unfortunately, I exacerbated the problem for myself. Anyway, it would be nice for PodTrapper to have the option of only doing "work" while idle, or something like that. The BlackBerry is never "Idle", so some threshold needs to be set.
conker

Return to Bugs and help