New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.18)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.18)

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

Barring any huge issues this will be the final beta before the main release.

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

Here are the changes:

2.9.18 Beta Version (Sep 6, 2010)

* Fixed issue with 'Override methods' menu item
* Android: Added 'Double-Press Power Play/Pause' keyboard setting (should work even when locked)
* Fixed issue with playlist not always updating when items are removed
* Parse HTML titles, descriptions and summaries and convert them to text (only for new episodes)
* Don't auto resume video after phone calls (it causes problems, and isn't ideal anyway)

Let me know what you find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.18)

New postby wpwoodjr on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Marcus,

Great Job! I like the way I can move from Blackberry Storm 2 to Droid X without pain now!!!

I noticed when in a podcast that the little summary of each podcast after the podcast date is truncated.

What is "Car mode"?

- Bill
wpwoodjr

New postby wpwoodjr on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Marcus,

I sent you an email with log attached because PT would not go from the Play state to the Pause state. The visual indicator showed the two bars instead of the right arrow, however no sound was coming out and the timer was not incrementing. I restarted PT and it started working again.

Another issue I had, when I got in the car to go home today, I connected to Bluetooth and PT did not play (it was running), the Android music player started up instead. I had to manually stop the music player and start PT playing. I could not replicate this behavior later - something must have happened during the day so that PT lost its hold on the Bluetooth events?

- Bill
wpwoodjr

New postby wpwoodjr on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm

This afternoon I went jogging with my Droid X running PodTrapper and my Motorola SD9-HD Bluetooth headphones. In several instances where I was using the forward and back buttons on the headset to jump forward or back in the podcast, PT either jumped too far or not enough. Other times it jumped correctly in accordance with my settings for fast forward a lot (60 secs) and rewind a lot (30 secs). The one time it jumped ahead too far it went several minutes, while when it didn't go back enough it was very little (1-2 seconds) or when it jumped back too far it was a minute or more.
wpwoodjr

New postby FreydNot on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:00 pm

marwatk wrote: * Android: Added 'Double-Press Power Play/Pause' keyboard setting (should work even when locked)

This seems to work. There have been a few times where I have tired double pressing the power and it hasn't worked, but for the most part it is working as advertised. Thanks for being so accommodating to all of the various flavors of Android hardware.
FreydNot

New postby FreydNot on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 pm

wpwoodjr wrote:This afternoon I went jogging with my Droid X running PodTrapper and my Motorola SD9-HD Bluetooth headphones. In several instances where I was using the forward and back buttons on the headset to jump forward or back in the podcast, PT either jumped too far or not enough. Other times it jumped correctly in accordance with my settings for fast forward a lot (60 secs) and rewind a lot (30 secs). The one time it jumped ahead too far it went several minutes, while when it didn't go back enough it was very little (1-2 seconds) or when it jumped back too far it was a minute or more.

I've seen this kind of thing as well. The BT FF and RW buttons seem to have a different effect from the normal PT buttons. Honestly, I don't use the BT FF and RW much so I don't run into the problem often.
FreydNot

New postby wpwoodjr on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:06 am

I used PT in my car for over an hour yesterday. Sometimes skip forward/back works fine. When it doesn't, it seems to fail consecutively for 5 or 6 times. The behavior of PT is that it skips back or forward and starts to play briefly (under 1 sec), then it skips again, starts to play, skips again - several times.

Maybe the Bluetooth stack is providing multiple events to PT? Perhaps PT could ignore multiple skip forward/back commands in a row in a short period?
wpwoodjr

New postby SHKaminski on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but since installing 2.9.18 (and maybe 2.9.17, too), the automatic updates don't work. E.g. update podcast at 7:30 am daily--doesn't work. From what I can tell, none of them work.

They had been working fine in the past. This is recent.

Did something get corrupted in my data? Any ideas?
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:42 am

FreydNot wrote:Other times it jumped correctly in accordance with my settings for fast forward a lot (60 secs) and rewind a lot (30 secs). The one time it jumped ahead too far it went several minutes, while when it didn't go back enough it was very little (1-2 seconds) or when it jumped back too far it was a minute or more.

Hmm, my guess is this is just related to issues with seeking in media in general. Do you notice any patterns with when it does and doesn't work? (Specific podcasts, etc)

wpwoodjr wrote:I used PT in my car for over an hour yesterday. Sometimes skip forward/back works fine. When it doesn't, it seems to fail consecutively for 5 or 6 times. The behavior of PT is that it skips back or forward and starts to play briefly (under 1 sec), then it skips again, starts to play, skips again - several times.

Maybe the Bluetooth stack is providing multiple events to PT? Perhaps PT could ignore multiple skip forward/back commands in a row in a short period?

Can you send me a copy of the logs then next time you notice that behavior? (In the car that may not be feasible, so let me know)

SHKaminski wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but since installing 2.9.18 (and maybe 2.9.17, too), the automatic updates don't work. E.g. update podcast at 7:30 am daily--doesn't work. From what I can tell, none of them work.

Hmm, can you look at a podcast's settings when it hasn't auto-updated and see what it says for 'Last Update' and 'Next Update'?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:55 am

marwatk wrote:Hmm, can you look at a podcast's settings when it hasn't auto-updated and see what it says for 'Last Update' and 'Next Update'?
-Marcus

Yes. I have a set of morning podcasts that are set to update at 7:30 am daily.
Here's what it said this morning (Thursday) at about 7:40 am:
Last Update: 8:06 am Wednesday (when I manually updated it)
Next Update: 7:30 am Thursday (keep in mind--it was already 7:40).
SHKaminski

New postby wpwoodjr on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 pm

FreydNot wrote:I've seen this kind of thing as well. The BT FF and RW buttons seem to have a different effect from the normal PT buttons. Honestly, I don't use the BT FF and RW much so I don't run into the problem often.

Do you also have a Droid X?
wpwoodjr

New postby FreydNot on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:50 pm

wpwoodjr wrote:
FreydNot wrote:I've seen this kind of thing as well. The BT FF and RW buttons seem to have a different effect from the normal PT buttons. Honestly, I don't use the BT FF and RW much so I don't run into the problem often.

Do you also have a Droid X?

Nope. I have a Samsung Vibrant.
FreydNot

New postby FreydNot on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm

marwatk wrote:
FreydNot wrote:Other times it jumped correctly in accordance with my settings for fast forward a lot (60 secs) and rewind a lot (30 secs). The one time it jumped ahead too far it went several minutes, while when it didn't go back enough it was very little (1-2 seconds) or when it jumped back too far it was a minute or more.

Hmm, my guess is this is just related to issues with seeking in media in general. Do you notice any patterns with when it does and doesn't work? (Specific podcasts, etc)

Not specific to blue tooth transport controls, but I have noticed that the Keith and the Girl podcast seems to show general media syncing issues. I know they do very high bitrate files (compared to other podcasts - 192kbps Mono). This is the podcast that I noticed jumped around when pausing and the playing again.

The RSS is at http://katg.com/rss

Be warned, it is a pretty raunchy podcast and is generally NSFW.
FreydNot

New postby San Juan on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:46 am

I am still noticing that after an episode ends and I hit the back button, its goes to the main page and not back to the feed page where I can start the next episode.
San Juan

New postby wpwoodjr on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:27 am

San Juan wrote:I am still noticing that after an episode ends and I hit the back button, its goes to the main page and not back to the feed page where I can start the next episode.

It does this when you first start PT up. PT starts at the screen for the feed you were playing, then when you hit "back" it goes to the main screen.
wpwoodjr

New postby San Juan on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 am

wpwoodjr wrote:
San Juan wrote:I am still noticing that after an episode ends and I hit the back button, its goes to the main page and not back to the feed page where I can start the next episode.

It does this when you first start PT up. PT starts at the screen for the feed you were playing, then when you hit "back" it goes to the main screen.

The condition I am seeing is when a podcast/episode is complete, and I press back, it goes to the main page where I have to push the catagory, then the podcast, then the next episode and then play.
If it went to the podcast, I would only have to hit the next episode and play.
This does not happen all the time, but I can't see any pattern yet.
San Juan

New postby wpwoodjr on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm

With the Blackberry Storm 2 version of PT, whenever I got in the car and connected to Bluetooth, PT would start playing, even when it was in the background. With the beta on my Droid X, PT doesn't start up after connecting to the car and also does not respond to the AV controls in the car until I go into PT and press Play. Is this fixable?

When the Droid is first booted, the car controls the Droid media player until I start PT. After that, the media player doesn't play anymore (thank you!) but PT doesn't respond to Bluetooth controls (after connecting to Bluetooth) either until I go into the PT interface and press Play.
wpwoodjr

New postby FreydNot on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:42 pm

marwatk wrote:* Android: Added 'Double-Press Power Play/Pause' keyboard setting (should work even when locked)

Just wanted to say that this feature is the single most useful feature in recent time. I'm using it more then I thought I would.
FreydNot

New postby theedge21 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:55 pm

FreydNot wrote:
marwatk wrote:* Android: Added 'Double-Press Power Play/Pause' keyboard setting (should work even when locked)

Just wanted to say that this feature is the single most useful feature in recent time. I'm using it more then I thought I would.

First of all much props for marcus.. great great app.. I have it loaded on my old BB and even though i got a new phone (HTC EVO) I've been using the BB just for my podcasts...

anyway, this might be a dumb question but can someone explain this double press feature? I can't figure out what it is and how it works.. Again i have the EVO handset and i was hoping there was a way to control the app while it's locked. I think the built in music play lets you have controls while the handset is locked and was hoping i could do the same with PT

Sam
theedge21

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 am

SHKaminski wrote:Yes. I have a set of morning podcasts that are set to update at 7:30 am daily.
Here's what it said this morning (Thursday) at about 7:40 am:
Last Update: 8:06 am Wednesday (when I manually updated it)
Next Update: 7:30 am Thursday (keep in mind--it was already 7:40).

Hmm. It's got an error margin of around 10 minutes (sloppy way to preserve battery, eventually I'll make it exact). It looks like the previous day you did wait about 30 minutes, but just to make super sure can you wait until about 7:45 and check again?

FreydNot wrote:Not specific to blue tooth transport controls, but I have noticed that the Keith and the Girl podcast seems to show general media syncing issues. I know they do very high bitrate files (compared to other podcasts - 192kbps Mono). This is the podcast that I noticed jumped around when pausing and the playing again.

The RSS is at http://katg.com/rss

Be warned, it is a pretty raunchy podcast and is generally NSFW.

I'll check it out, but my guess is this is going to be platform related. I'll see about adding a 'Play in Native Player' and see if we can duplicate the issues there.

wpwoodjr wrote:
I am still noticing that after an episode ends and I hit the back button, its goes to the main page and not back to the feed page where I can start the next episode.

This is caused by how android handles calling apps and being in the background. I'm still looking into it, but I'm not 100% sure it'll ever be able to work exactly like the BB version (which basically stays running all the time). Right now it will happen any time you leave PodTrapper and come back, at that point you screen stack will be lost and replaced with only the main screen and 'Now playing'.

wpwoodjr wrote:With the Blackberry Storm 2 version of PT, whenever I got in the car and connected to Bluetooth, PT would start playing, even when it was in the background. With the beta on my Droid X, PT doesn't start up after connecting to the car and also does not respond to the AV controls in the car until I go into PT and press Play. Is this fixable?

Turn of 'Auto Stop' in your playback settings. That should produce the old behavior. Let me know if not.

theedge21 wrote:anyway, this might be a dumb question but can someone explain this double press feature? I can't figure out what it is and how it works.. Again i have the EVO handset and i was hoping there was a way to control the app while it's locked. I think the built in music play lets you have controls while the handset is locked and was hoping i could do the same with PT

Basically when you turn it on in the 'Keyboard Settings' screen, any time the screen goes from on->off->on or off->on->off in a short period of time (which is possible to do with a well timed 'double press' of the power button) it will act like a play/pause button. The built in player is able to put a widget on the lock screen. For PT to do similar I'd have to replace the lock screen altogether, which I'm trying to avoid. There are 3rd party lock screens that will let you put any widget on them (which will support PodTrapper's widget), so I'm hoping between that and the power button thing I can avoid rolling my own lock screen.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby theedge21 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 am

I'm a moron.. i was trying to figure out why the double press thing wasn't working.. and forgot "hey maybe i should enable it" thanks for that.. it is really useful..
theedge21

New postby wpwoodjr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm

marwatk wrote:
wpwoodjr wrote:With the Blackberry Storm 2 version of PT, whenever I got in the car and connected to Bluetooth, PT would start playing, even when it was in the background. With the beta on my Droid X, PT doesn't start up after connecting to the car and also does not respond to the AV controls in the car until I go into PT and press Play. Is this fixable?

Turn of 'Auto Stop' in your playback settings. That should produce the old behavior. Let me know if not.
-Marcus

Wow, that helped! What does Auto Stop do and why is it the default?!?

This may be premature, but since turning Auto Stop off I have had no issues with multiple skips when pressing the Bluetooth next and previous track on my headset and in my car. I'll keep an eye on that.

There is still a seeking issue sometimes where when hitting previous track via Bluetooth PodTrapper only goes back a second or two instead of the 30 I have it set for.

Question - what does the setting "Bluetooth Control Help" do?
wpwoodjr

New postby wpwoodjr on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Re "Bluetooth control help" I have this turned on for my Droid is this setting only for HTC Sense? Could that be why my track forward/back commands are/were (I didn't experience it today after turning off Auto Stop) skipping multiple times?

Also, can we have an option to start PodTrapper on boot the way it does on the BB Storm 2?
wpwoodjr

New postby SHKaminski on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 am

marwatk wrote:Hmm. It's got an error margin of around 10 minutes (sloppy way to preserve battery, eventually I'll make it exact). It looks like the previous day you did wait about 30 minutes, but just to make super sure can you wait until about 7:45 and check again?

I did as you asked and everything worked fine. Maybe I'm dazed and confused. Or maybe there's another app that is getting in the way. Either way, it doesn't look like a PT problem at this point.

Thanks for your patience.
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:55 pm

wpwoodjr wrote:What does Auto Stop do and why is it the default?!?

Well, ordinarily PodTrapper always has something queued up, so a lot of users were having problems with pocket resumes, where you'd hit a media key accidentally and it would start playing a podcast at inopportune times (meetings, weddings, etc). Auto stop makes it so that PodTrapper is only 'listening' for generic resume methods (media keys, mostly) for 5 minutes after pausing something. If you use one of the real play buttons (widget, in-app, etc), it doesn't apply. Make sense?

wpwoodjr wrote:This may be premature, but since turning Auto Stop off I have had no issues with multiple skips when pressing the Bluetooth next and previous track on my headset and in my car. I'll keep an eye on that.

Definitely let me know there (though I'm not sure how they'd be related :/ )

wpwoodjr wrote:Question - what does the setting "Bluetooth Control Help" do?

Some phones (HTC sense UI ones) don't do normal media key events for bluetooth, but instead their own proprietary events. This setting makes PT listen for those.

wpwoodjr wrote:Re "Bluetooth control help" I have this turned on for my Droid is this setting only for HTC Sense? Could that be why my track forward/back commands are/were (I didn't experience it today after turning off Auto Stop) skipping multiple times?

I don't think so, but I've got logging in place on .19 that should tell me for sure. If you see it again (the double press thing) can you shoot me another copy?

wpwoodjr wrote:Also, can we have an option to start PodTrapper on boot the way it does on the BB Storm 2?

Still working on that.

SHKaminski wrote:I did as you asked and everything worked fine. Maybe I'm dazed and confused. Or maybe there's another app that is getting in the way. Either way, it doesn't look like a PT problem at this point.

Well, I'm not so sure. I just pulled up a device I have here that had PT running and it didn't start updating until I turned on the screen. I'm thinking there's a 'standby' mode PodTrapper isn't able to update during. I'm adding a 'Last update attempt' time to the screen so I can try to figure it out.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby scaryslocuda on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Marcus -

Here are the issues I'm still experiencing with 2.9.19 (running Froyo on my Droid Incredible):

Issues
- I have PT set up to "only download when charging", but I also have it set to "allow updates over cellular". Unfortunately, this combo translates to me being forced to plug in my phone JUST to update my podcasts. This is frustrating because sometimes I just want to see IF new shows are available, not necessarily download them at that moment. Currently I am forced to plug in my phone to do this. Adding an option (or just changing the default) to allow the podcasts to update regardless being plugged in or not (I understand that checking for updates does do a little bit of data-transfer), would be a nice improvement.

- The "Power Button Double-Press Play/Pause" is working just fine (a fairly nice feature). However, the "Camera Button Play/Pause (when unlocked)" option is not working at all. Perhaps this is a bug specific to the Dinc? Personally, I'd like to see this feature modified to allow the camera button to play/pause ALL of the time...not just when the phone is unlocked. I feel that the chances of the camera button being pressed on accident while the phone is locked are extremely remote (this may be unique to the Dinc). However, a single press (like that I experienced on my BB Storm) would be much less cumbersome than doing a power button double-press.

- Unlike other video-playing programs on my phone (DoggCatcher, YouTube, etc.), PT actually allows you to watch video in portrait mode. This may seem nice in concept, but the picture is so small that it rarely makes sense to even bother. What's worse is that when you rotate the phone to see it in landscape, the video stops...forcing you to re-start it. Just having the video play in landscape as a default would be much better, and much more inline with other video viewing softwares for the android.

Otherwise, the newest version is running very stable on my phone. To be honest, though, PT is trying to chase a moving target (as I'm sure you are aware), and the other podcast programs are also evolving (though, not as quickly). In my opinion, if PT could implement all of the following features, it would be the CLEAR podcast management software of choice on the Android platform. Its a lot of work, I'm sure...but I feel the potential for PT is great.

Keep up the great work!

Improvements
- ability to stream files that haven't been downloaded yet (if this is added, the file should be able to stream over cellular or wifi regardless of download settings)
- ability to "force download" a file (this command would supersede the download settings for use when you REALLY want to download a single file...but do not want to make a change to your global download settings)
- single screen for viewing all your media simultaneously, or all files of a certain type (i.e. video, audio, text) - this would need to have filters, similar to what you find in a program like ACast
- add support for Google Reader
- ability to schedule automatic downloading
- improve the widget!!!
- improve the overall look (bigger icons, nicer looking control buttons, home screen)
scaryslocuda

New postby goliatham on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:25 pm

could the download issue possibly be a result of the settings to:
download only via wifi and
wifi setting to turn off wifi while screen is off
goliatham

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi guys,

scaryslocuda wrote:I have PT set up to "only download when charging", but I also have it set to "allow updates over cellular". Unfortunately, this combo translates to me being forced to plug in my phone JUST to update my podcasts. This is frustrating because sometimes I just want to see IF new shows are available, not necessarily download them at that moment. Currently I am forced to plug in my phone to do this. Adding an option (or just changing the default) to allow the podcasts to update regardless being plugged in or not (I understand that checking for updates does do a little bit of data-transfer), would be a nice improvement.

I can add an option to allow updates to ignore the charging setting. I'll add it to my list.

scaryslocuda wrote:However, the "Camera Button Play/Pause (when unlocked)" option is not working at all. Perhaps this is a bug specific to the Dinc? Personally, I'd like to see this feature modified to allow the camera button to play/pause ALL of the time...not just when the phone is unlocked.

As far as I've been able to determine, the camera thing may be device specific. Can you try a press and hold and see if that triggers it? If not they may have altered it to not fire the camera intent. Unfortunately it's not possible on android to detect any keys when the app doesn't have focus :(

scaryslocuda wrote:Just having the video play in landscape as a default would be much better, and much more inline with other video viewing softwares for the android.

I think I can do that.

scaryslocuda wrote:ability to stream files that haven't been downloaded yet

That should be possible now, as long as the episode is downloading. (i.e mark it for download, move it to the top, and override the methods for it). I can add a shortcut to do all of that, I suppose. ("Download now" or something, which solves the other problem as well).

scaryslocuda wrote:single screen for viewing all your media simultaneously, or all files of a certain type

Not sure what this means?

goliatham wrote:could the download issue possibly be a result of the settings to:
download only via wifi and
wifi setting to turn off wifi while screen is off

I just checked, and you're right. It takes a couple of seconds for my wifi to come back on after the screen comes on. Is there a setting for that somewhere? (I couldn't find it)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby goliatham on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:17 am

you can change it by going into wifi settings, hitting menu button and choosing Advanced
goliatham

New postby scaryslocuda on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:29 pm

scaryslocuda wrote:single screen for viewing all your media simultaneously, or all files of a certain type

Not sure what this means?

Sorry, I didn't explain this very well...

What I meant was that rather than having a "home" screen that shows you all of your various podcast subscriptions, and then having to dig down through each of them to play your episodes, it might be nice to have the home screen show all of the media you currently have downloaded. I've seen this in other programs and it was very convenient. This way, you rarely even need to go into the specific podcast menus (though there should still be a separate screen option, similar to the home screen today, for podcast management). Rather, upon entering PT you are immediately presented with all of your downloaded media, in the order you have pre-defined (newest podcasts first/last, group podcasts together by subscription, etc.). Additional functionality would be to click on a button for "video" or "audio", which would prune down the full list to those more specific media types.

I could show you some screen shots illustrating this in other programs, but I'm not sure if that's allowed...
scaryslocuda

New postby FreydNot on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Sounds like the current playlist function.

http://versatilemonkey.com/wiki/PodTrap ... ist_Screen
FreydNot

New postby marwatk on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:38 am

Have you checked out the playlist functionality (thanks, FreydNot)? Basically you can set up playlists that are auto populated with any combination of podcasts once episodes are downloaded, and they can be sorted whichever way you'd prefer, optionally resorting as things are added.

goliatham wrote:you can change it by going into wifi settings, hitting menu button and choosing Advanced

Thanks! I think that was it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby wpwoodjr on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I think my earlier problems with "skipping" way too far ahead or back when using Bluetooth next / prev track functions may have been a malfunction of my Droid X sending too many commands to PodTrapper. Rebooting seems to clear this issue up.

However, I do notice that PT does not consistently seek to the proper spot when going back 30 secs or forward 60 secs using Bluetooth prev/next track. Sometimes it moves too far, sometimes barely at all (1-2 secs).
wpwoodjr

New postby SHKaminski on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 am

Marcus,

A couple of issues with 2.9.19:

1. I've already mentioned to you that the times updates don't appear to be working--I thought it might be me, but I checked again, and it doesn't appear to be. I have PT set to open at 7:00 every day (using Tasker). It should update a set of daily podcasts at 7:30. If the phone is just sitting on my dresser, it opens up at 7:00 on schedule, but the 7:30 auto updates don't happen. If I'm using PT at 7:30, they do happen (or so it seems).

2. The skip to end doesn't seem to work. I click on skip to end, but the podcast stays in the episode list, showing that it was listened to up to the point where I selected "skip to end." It doesn't skip to the end--and, therefore, it doesn't delete the podcast and move to the next item in the playlist, if that's what it should do.

Thanks again for your work.
SHKaminski

New postby wpwoodjr on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:43 am

wpwoodjr wrote:I think my earlier problems with "skipping" way too far ahead or back when using Bluetooth next / prev track functions may have been a malfunction of my Droid X sending too many commands to PodTrapper. Rebooting seems to clear this issue up.

However, I do notice that PT does not consistently seek to the proper spot when going back 30 secs or forward 60 secs using Bluetooth prev/next track. Sometimes it moves too far, sometimes barely at all (1-2 secs).

I can now reproduce the Bluetooth "skipping" problem where PodTrapper receives multiple notifications of next/prev track presses by the user. It is related to the music player. To reproduce:

• Exit from PodTrapper if its open
  • Connect your Bluetooth device
  • Start the music player using the Bluetooth "play" command
  • Pause the music player
  • Start PodTrapper and play a podcast
  • Use the Next/Prev track keys on your Bluetooth headset or car system
This should reproduce the issue, at least it does on my Droid X running Android V2.1. If you force stop the music player the problem goes away until the music player starts again.
wpwoodjr

New postby marwatk on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi guys,

wpwoodjr wrote:However, I do notice that PT does not consistently seek to the proper spot when going back 30 secs or forward 60 secs using Bluetooth prev/next track. Sometimes it moves too far, sometimes barely at all (1-2 secs).

My guess here is that the media isn't properly indexed or it's VBR, so it can't seek to every spot in the file. The BB has this problem with some files too. Do you notice it on a particular podcast?

SHKaminski wrote:1. I've already mentioned to you that the times updates don't appear to be working--I thought it might be me, but I checked again, and it doesn't appear to be. I have PT set to open at 7:00 every day (using Tasker). It should update a set of daily podcasts at 7:30. If the phone is just sitting on my dresser, it opens up at 7:00 on schedule, but the 7:30 auto updates don't happen. If I'm using PT at 7:30, they do happen (or so it seems).

I think (with the help of you guys) we've tracked that down to wifi being disabled when the screen is off. There's an advanced setting in the main android wifi settings that controls whether the wifi turns off when the screen does. Can you check that setting?

SHKaminski wrote:2. The skip to end doesn't seem to work. I click on skip to end, but the podcast stays in the episode list, showing that it was listened to up to the point where I selected "skip to end." It doesn't skip to the end--and, therefore, it doesn't delete the podcast and move to the next item in the playlist, if that's what it should do.

Thanks, I was able to duplicate that. I'll get it fixed.

wpwoodjr wrote:I can now reproduce the Bluetooth "skipping" problem where PodTrapper receives multiple notifications of next/prev track presses by the user. It is related to the music player.

I think I put in a 'fix' for this in the latest release (3.0.0). Can you try that out and let me know?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:43 am

marwatk wrote:
SHKaminski wrote:1. I've already mentioned to you that the times updates don't appear to be working--

I think (with the help of you guys) we've tracked that down to wifi being disabled when the screen is off. There's an advanced setting in the main android wifi settings that controls whether the wifi turns off when the screen does. Can you check that setting?

SHKaminski wrote:2. The skip to end doesn't seem to work.

Thanks, I was able to duplicate that. I'll get it fixed.-Marcus

Thank you, Marcus. I have to tell you, however, that both these issues appear to be resolved with PT 3.0 and Android 2.2 on my Droid X. Both appear to be working fine.
SHKaminski

New postby wpwoodjr on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 pm

marwatk wrote:Hi guys,

wpwoodjr wrote:However, I do notice that PT does not consistently seek to the proper spot when going back 30 secs or forward 60 secs using Bluetooth prev/next track. Sometimes it moves too far, sometimes barely at all (1-2 secs).

My guess here is that the media isn't properly indexed or it's VBR, so it can't seek to every spot in the file. The BB has this problem with some files too. Do you notice it on a particular podcast?

wpwoodjr wrote:I can now reproduce the Bluetooth "skipping" problem where PodTrapper receives multiple notifications of next/prev track presses by the user. It is related to the music player.

I think I put in a 'fix' for this in the latest release (3.0.0). Can you try that out and let me know?

-Marcus

I notice the seeking issue on TWiT, for example TWiT 266. I never had this issue on BB.

I am now running V2.2 on my Droid X - haven't noticed any skipping issues yet. Bluetooth and audio seems better-behaved in V2.2. For example, the media player will stop playing if I start playing PT. However PT does not stop playing if I start media player.

How do I get PT 3? I have it set to check for new beta versions (also tried with it set for new release versions) but it did not prompt me. I still have V 2.9.19. Maybe I'll stay on this version for a bit and see if I get any skipping issues with Froyo.
wpwoodjr

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:59 am

wpwoodjr wrote:How do I get PT 3? I have it set to check for new beta versions (also tried with it set for new release versions) but it did not prompt me. I still have V 2.9.19. Maybe I'll stay on this version for a bit and see if I get any skipping issues with Froyo.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you're not getting a notice. Has it still not notified you?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby wpwoodjr on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:39 pm

I wasn't getting notified because I wasn't plugged in :roll:
wpwoodjr

Return to Announcements