Hi guys,

Another alpha version:
http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/ptalpha/

Here are the changes:

* Android: Fixed jaggy text issue
* Android: Fixed bookmark creation
* Fixed issue with progress bar for non-podcast media files
* Fixed issue with saving progress on non-podcast media files
* Added 'Auto Stop' playback setting to prevent pocket resumes (playback times out after 5 minutes)
* Android: Fixed resuming after call ended (assuming you were playing back when the call started)
* Android: Bluetooth headset controls now only do seeks, not skips
* Android: Fixed status bar overlapping other elements
* Fixed sort order on main screen (now honors View Priority)

I'm still trying to figure out the video issue. I think I'm going to have to break down and get a 2.1 device. Anyone know the oldest/cheapest GSM 2.1 device?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Alphas 2.9.7

New postby Steve Kaminski on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 am

With 2.9.7, my daily podcast routine is pretty much back to normal. I uninstalled Google Listen. Things feel much more comfortable.

A few things:

Video is still messed up for me.

Tried to add a podcast by browsing--it looked like PT added it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. This happened twice.

Bluetooth transport is still goofy. Play or skip always starts up the music player along with PT. Things end up sounding like some sort of post-modern performance art piece on late-night public radio.
One time, PT locked up. I went to "Exit," PT went through it's shutdown routine, but then popped up again as if two copies had been running.

Still need some quick way to pause/play. I miss this from the BB version. I assume the convenience key settings aren't working (they don't seem to be for me, anyway). I know you're working on this, Marcus.

Thanks!
Steve Kaminski

New postby San Juan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:01 am

I am noting that on some, not all, podcasts are not downloading in the entirety, or some of it is being cut.
when I start the podcast, it is about 1/2 done.
San Juan

New postby Cilraaz on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Just as an fyi for anyone who is having problems after installing one of the new alpha version:

Device: BlackBerry Storm 9530

I upgraded from 2.6.7 to 2.9.7. Following the normal upgrade process, after my phone rebooted, the Podtrapper application would not respond. Hitting the icon would result in the screen freezing until the red key was pressed. Downgrading to 2.6.7 resulted in a message regarding the permissions not being set correctly. I assumed this to be the problem with the previous upgrade as well. Uninstalling 2.6.7 completely, rebooting the phone, and installing 2.9.7 resulted in a working version.

Long story short: If you're having issues upgrading, try a full uninstall.

Other than this, the only issue I've seen so far is the standard media player issue where sometimes upon beginning or resuming playback, you have to hit the volume key (up or down) to get sound. I have this issue in Slacker and Pandora as well, so I'm almost convinced that it's an OS issue. The issue never occurred in 2.6.7, though.
Device: Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Android Version: Gingerbread 2.3.6
Baseband Version: EP4
Modifications: IMoseyON's EP4 Kernel v4.0.0, Humble ROM v5.0 RC2
Cilraaz

New postby Popdave on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Marcus. Again hopefully when you have time you can add bluetooth support for S/E Xperia X10 which is running Android 1.6. At the moment i can open the app but cant choose my mono bluetooth headset as an output. Thanks in advance.
Popdave

New postby marwatk on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:51 am

San Juan wrote:I am noting that on some, not all, podcasts are not downloading in the entirety, or some of it is being cut.
when I start the podcast, it is about 1/2 done.

Can you send me a copy of your logs when you notice this one? (Via the 'Email Developer' menu item)

Steve Kaminski wrote:Tried to add a podcast by browsing--it looked like PT added it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. This happened twice.

There seems to be an issue with the app<->browser integration on some phones, looking into it...

Steve Kaminski wrote:Bluetooth transport is still goofy. Play or skip always starts up the music player along with PT. Things end up sounding like some sort of post-modern performance art piece on late-night public radio.

This one is actually phone specific. A lot of the 'Sense UI' phones (all of them?) built their own facility for doing media keys, and they don't honor cancellation (i.e they ignore that PT has handled the audio and continue to handle it anyway). From what I've been reading, there are a couple of workarounds (uninstalling the default media player, hiding all of your media, etc), but none that I like so far. I'm still investigation, but I may not be able to solve this one.

Popdave wrote:Hi Marcus. Again hopefully when you have time you can add bluetooth support for S/E Xperia X10 which is running Android 1.6. At the moment i can open the app but cant choose my mono bluetooth headset as an output. Thanks in advance.

This is definitely coming (assuming it works), I'm running into issues debugging it, but I'm working on it.

Let me know what else you guys find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby a18cline on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Had to do a hard reset on my HTC EVO, reinstalled Podtrapper and now Podtrapper is force closing when I try to add podcasts, anyone else having this issue? :o
a18cline

New postby FreydNot on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:43 pm

marwatk wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the video issue. I think I'm going to have to break down and get a 2.1 device. Anyone know the oldest/cheapest GSM 2.1 device

I know they aren't the oldest, but I would recommend either the Vibrant or the myTouch 3G Slide (AKA the slide). Both are good phones and both are currently on 2.1. Both have promised 2.2 updates from the manufacturer. The Vibrant is a better phone by the specs (1Ghz vs 600Mhz, larger screen, AMMOLED over LCD, better touch screen).

For unknown reasons, an unlocked Vibrant will successfully connect to AT&T 3G data (it shouldn't have the frequency bands, but for some reason it works anyway). It's not full support on all AT&T 3G bands, but it is some of them.

If you are not a current T-Mobile subscriber, you can get a Vibrant from this link for $74 with a 2 year contract (or sign up a new account, immediately terminate service, pay the ETF and have the phone outright for $274). http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739689

Amazon sells it for $99 on a new contract (I'm not sure what they would do for an upgrade). http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Vibrant-A ... EAEXPGS463

If you are 21 weeks through an existing contract, T-mobile will sell you one as an upgrade for $199 with a 2 year extension. I've read posts from people who had more time on their contract but argued / begged their way to upgrade eligibility.

You can always try Craigs list to see if anyone is off loading their slide, Vibrant or Nexus 1.

Lots of options. It really comes down to what you have now, what you want to end up with, and how much you are willing to spend.

PS, if you've been a T-mobile customer for a few years I would encourage you to call in, tell them you are looking to leave them for another carrier (they will send you to the Loyalty department) and then ask them to give you the $20/mo Android data plan. Ask them what else they can do for you to save you some money. I ended up with a decent deal on unlimited texts for the entire family plan.

ETA: I believe there are custom firmwares for your G1 that will bring it up to 2.1. Infact, I think CM6 will bring you up to 2.2. See here for more info: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/9-ht ... table-mod/
FreydNot

New postby FreydNot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:01 am

marwatk wrote: * Android: Fixed jaggy text issue

Yep (see screen shots below)

marwatk wrote: * Added 'Auto Stop' playback setting to prevent pocket resumes (playback times out after 5 minutes)

Sounds interesting. I have noticed some times where I know I paused, but when I came back to it later it was at 99%

marwatk wrote: * Android: Fixed resuming after call ended (assuming you were playing back when the call started)

When I made a test call, it did pause when the call came in and played when it ended, but the audio was about 1 minute forward from where the pause happened. I've seen quirks like this before where it suddenly jumped forward so I'm not sure it is related to the call pause and play feature.

marwatk wrote: * Android: Bluetooth headset controls now only do seeks, not skips

It is still acting like the play/pause key was pressed twice for me. It pauses briefly and then starts playing again. When I did a "fast forward", it jumped from 4m40s(ish) to 10m:30s(ish) then I got a forced closed error from what appears to be the Android music player (see screen shot below). Pressing rewind jumped from 10m00s(ish) to 8m42s. I didn't get the FC on rewind, but then I didn't restart PT after the last FC. I'm starting to wonder if it is reading each keypress from the BT 4 or 6 times over.

Also, the Android music player started up and started playing. I've noticed that Pandora is able to play and pause properly from BT and the Android music player doesn't interfere, so it is possible.

marwatk wrote: * Android: Fixed status bar overlapping other elements

Yep (see screen shots below)

marwatk wrote: * Fixed sort order on main screen (now honors View Priority)

YES!!! Thanks for this. It was driving me nuts.

In addition to the random times the position seems to jump forward, I have also noticed that the "Change View|View w/Ready Eps" setting isn't very sticky. It switches back to "View All" seemingly at random.

Also, more then once I have let a podcast play through to the end and advance to the next item in the play list. However it only shows 99% played and it doesn't get auto deleted.

Some screen shots of 2.9.7. I like the fade out at the top and bottom.

Last edited by FreydNot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
FreydNot

New postby FreydNot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:16 am

marwatk wrote:This one is actually phone specific. A lot of the 'Sense UI' phones (all of them?) built their own facility for doing media keys, and they don't honor cancellation (i.e they ignore that PT has handled the audio and continue to handle it anyway). From what I've been reading, there are a couple of workarounds (uninstalling the default media player, hiding all of your media, etc), but none that I like so far. I'm still investigation, but I may not be able to solve this one.

For what is it worth, I am also seeing this on my phone which is TouchWiz 3. TouchWiz is made by Samsung. I believe Sense UI is made by HTC and is on all HTC phones. As I said previously, the Pandora app is able to manage it properly on my phone so there must be some way to do it.
FreydNot

New postby norm807 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:47 pm

a18cline wrote:Had to do a hard reset on my HTC EVO, reinstalled Podtrapper and now Podtrapper is force closing when I try to add podcasts, anyone else having this issue? :o

I am getting the same issue. When I try to add a podcast via the browse/search button, I select the add subscription button and get a foreclose.

This is a Dinc 2.1 and I installed over old version that already contained a bunch of podcast.

Thanks norm
norm807

New postby marwatk on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:04 pm

That's interesting that it's not PodTrapper crashing when trying to play video, but the media player itself. That's going to be interesting to diagnose. (Really need a 2.1 phone I guess).

I broke the add podcasts thing with the last release, if you copy and paste the URL at the bottom it should work as a workaround. I would push a new release (I have a widget now as well), but got called away on a last minute trip out of town. Next release will likely be wednesdayish.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby goliatham on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:57 am

I'm having some bluetooth control issues as well. I've only tested with audio files, as I use PT for audiobooks.
Here's what I've experienced on my Moto Droid (with 2.1):
When Meridian (alternate media player) is installed, PT has the double-tap thing happening when hitting pause/play button on BT device.
Without Meridian (only native Music app installed), both PT & Music app start playing simultaneously.
goliatham

New postby goliatham on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:02 am

I am also getting a force close error when trying to create a new playlist.
goliatham

New postby Cilraaz on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 am

Device: BlackBerry Storm 9530

Another issue I've noticed with 2.9.7 is a problem with deleting podcast episodes. When I initally try to delete an episode, I receive the message:

Code: Select all
There was an error deleting episodes:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception deleting episode  java.lang.IllegalStateException/UI engine accessed without holding the event lock.

After hitting 'ok' on that error and choosing to delete the episode again, it deletes with no problem.

[edit: This only seems to occur with watched episodes (partial or 100% completed). Unwatched episodes delete with no problem. Also, I checked application permissions and everything is set to allow.]

[edit2: I just had this error occur when attempting to watch two episodes back to back. Perhaps it's an issue with "next action after watching"?]
Device: Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Android Version: Gingerbread 2.3.6
Baseband Version: EP4
Modifications: IMoseyON's EP4 Kernel v4.0.0, Humble ROM v5.0 RC2
Cilraaz

New postby FreydNot on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:07 am

I see 2.9.8 is up on the OTA page. I didn't notice any changes when I installed it (good or bad). When you get a chance, can we get a changelog?
FreydNot

New postby inspirado on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:26 am

Well, I don't do video podcasts, so I can't say anything about that, but there's a widget now!

So far it shows play/pause and tells the title of the track.

Secondly, my PT is set to expire in 6 days. With the alpha will that happen? I'd be glad to pay for the service...

Dave
inspirado

Re: 2.9.8

New postby mtcachers on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 am

FreydNot wrote:I see 2.9.8 is up on the OTA page. I didn't notice any changes when I installed it (good or bad). When you get a chance, can we get a changelog?

From the ptalpha download page:

2.9.8 Alpha Version (Aug 5, 2010)

Android: Home screen widget
Android: Fixed error subscribing to podcasts
Fixed error when creating new playlist
Podcast browser now takes relevance into account when searching
BlackBerry: Fixed UI issues when deleting episodes
Prevent help box from popping more than once at a time
Setting to prevent/allow downloads while roaming
Android: Setting to control whether Bluetooth controls should be handled in non-standard way (HTC Sense)
Podcast specific 'Download while charging'
Mike
MTcachers
PodTrapper 2.9.8
Verizon Tour 9630 (5.0.0.732 Hybrid)
Verizon Droid Eris (KaosFroyo V24)
mtcachers

New PodTrapper Alphas 2.9.8

New postby Steve Kaminski on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:52 am

I just installed 2.9.8 and am having problems playing podcasts. I also had problems getting anything to play in Pandora and the built-in media player. I uninstalled 2.9.8 and the other apps were fine. So there must be something awry with 2.9.8
Steve Kaminski

New postby marwatk on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:49 pm

FreydNot wrote:When you get a chance, can we get a changelog?

Usually when I post one I put the changelog up at the same time (though sometimes I forget to save it before I deploy), so if you scroll down on the download page it should be there.

inspirado wrote:Secondly, my PT is set to expire in 6 days. With the alpha will that happen? I'd be glad to pay for the service...

I'm 99% sure I've decided that BB reg codes will work on the android version (they do as of 2.9.7 in the code), so if you purchase that you can use it on Android while I work out the app market code and such.

inspirado wrote:but there's a widget now! So far it shows play/pause and tells the title of the track.

I'm open to suggestions on that, BTW.

Steve Kaminski wrote:I just installed 2.9.8 and am having problems playing podcasts. I also had problems getting anything to play in Pandora and the built-in media player. I uninstalled 2.9.8 and the other apps were fine. So there must be something awry with 2.9.8

This is a bit disconcerting. It shouldn't be possible for me to affect other apps. Though it is on BB too even though it's not supposed to be, so I guess it's possible. Can you describe what you were seeing? And did reinstalling help?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Steve Kaminski on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm

marwatk wrote:This is a bit disconcerting. It shouldn't be possible for me to affect other apps. Though it is on BB too even though it's not supposed to be, so I guess it's possible. Can you describe what you were seeing? And did reinstalling help?

Reinstalling didn't help. Let me try to describe it in more detail.

First, I've had several random problems that I can't describe too systematically--the play button doesn't seem to respond at all. I exit PT and restart, and it works. But this behavior seems erratic.

Second--I can be more systematic about the problems with the music player and Panbora--it seems to be related to bluetooth controls in 2.9.8. Without bluetooth, I can play PT, music player and Pandora just fine. But through bluetooth, none of them work. I hit the play button; the progress bar moves, but there's no audio. This occurs even if I switch back and forth between bluetooth and no bluetooth during playback.

When I uninstall PT and reboot the phone, the music player and Pandora work properly again through bluetooth.

Steve Kaminski
Steve Kaminski

New postby marwatk on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Steve Kaminski wrote:Second--I can be more systematic about the problems with the music player and Panbora--it seems to be related to bluetooth controls in 2.9.8. Without bluetooth, I can play PT, music player and Pandora just fine. But through bluetooth, none of them work. I hit the play button; the progress bar moves, but there's no audio. This occurs even if I switch back and forth between bluetooth and no bluetooth during playback.

Can you set your 'Select output' menu to 'OS Managed' and see if that solves it?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Marcus,
At this point, everything seems to be ok. Let me keep trying to pin down the problem. I'll let you know if I find anything more definite. Sorry for the false alarm.
Steve Kaminski
SHKaminski

New postby SHKaminski on Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Marcus,
I have noticed a couple of other things. I have lost all my playlists with the upgrade to 2.9.8. Also, the playlist have the wrong podcasts in them (e.g. NPR's Planet Money episodes show up under Planet Money where they're supposed to, but also under Ricky Gervais--and when I delete them there, they're gone in both places).

Also, a couple of time when I've gone to "Show Playlist," PT closes completely--I have to restart it.

Steve Kaminski
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:30 pm

SHKaminski wrote:I have noticed a couple of other things. I have lost all my playlists with the upgrade to 2.9.8. Also, the playlist have the wrong podcasts in them (e.g. NPR's Planet Money episodes show up under Planet Money where they're supposed to, but also under Ricky Gervais--and when I delete them there, they're gone in both places).

Also, a couple of time when I've gone to "Show Playlist," PT closes completely--I have to restart it.

Hmm, sounds like the DB got corrupt somehow, but I have no clue how that would happen. Did anything weird happen during the upgrade? If you restore from backup does it come back normally?

Good news on another front. My Droid arrived and I've got video working. I have a couple more features to add and then I'll think we'll be getting really close to done.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:16 pm

marwatk wrote:Hmm, sounds like the DB got corrupt somehow, but I have no clue how that would happen. Did anything weird happen during the upgrade? If you restore from backup does it come back normally?

Nothing dramatic. But the new version didn't pick up the old stuff right away--I had to restore from backup. It probably is corrupted. Is there a way I can delete it and restore from a backup again?

marwatk wrote:Good news on another front. My Droid arrived and I've got video working. I have a couple more features to add and then I'll think we'll be getting really close to done.

Cool! I'm looking forward to it.
SHKaminski

New postby FreydNot on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 pm

marwatk wrote:Usually when I post one I put the changelog up at the same time (though sometimes I forget to save it before I deploy), so if you scroll down on the download page it should be there.

Sorry, I was looking at the OTA screen on my phone and didn't zoom in to see anything other than the download link.

marwatk wrote:I'm 99% sure I've decided that BB reg codes will work on the android version (they do as of 2.9.7 in the code), so if you purchase that you can use it on Android while I work out the app market code and such.

Excellent. It accepted my old registration code. I was a bit confused about what to do after I typed the code. There wasn't an accept button and pressing enter just advanced a line. Pressed the menu button on the phone and looked for a menu option for "accept" but I didn't find one. Finally I pressed the back button on the phone which took me back to the settings screen. I could see some message was displayed when I pressed back, but the settings screen came in instantly so I couldn't read it. It looked like it had an "ok" button. I'm assuming it was a "thanks for registering" type of message?

marwatk wrote:
inspirado wrote:but there's a widget now! So far it shows play/pause and tells the title of the track.

I'm open to suggestions on that, BTW.

I have lots of suggestions for the widget :-)

First, how about a larger version? Right now it looks like it is the equivalent of 2 icon spaces wide and 1 icons tall. The Pandora widget is 4 wide by 1 tall which i think is better since you have more space and can use large text and buttons.

I would add a "rewind a little" button for sure (to the left of the play/pause button) and a "fast forward a little" button would be good too (to the right of the play/pause button).

I would try for something a bit more high contrast and try to avoid text over the logo as it makes it hard to read. I like what Pandora did with the black background and white text. They also placed their logo (which takes you to the Pandora app when touched) along with buttons, but dimmed out.

I will likely be using the widget as a quick way to pause and play. Anything you can do to make that easier (like making the play/pause button double wide) would be great.

If nothing is playing, then pressing the text should take you to the PT main screen. However, if something is playing (or paused), I would like to see it take you to now playing.

Of course this is just my opinion. I'm sure others have ideas about what they would like to see.

Here is what the PT widget looks like on my phone:

Here is what the Pandora widget looks like:

Also, what does the "Bluetooth Control Help" option do? I noticed that pausing from BT no longer causes the Android player to start playing. However, I still get the pause immediately followed by a play. My guess is if you add some "debounce" logic (ignore all transport controls via bluetooth for 0.5 seconds after receiving a BT transport control message) it would fix my problem. I'll email in a log file so you can see what is going on.

ETA: I'm also a big fan of the "Setting to prevent/allow downloads while roaming" feature.
FreydNot

New postby ahagenmaier on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 pm

marwatk wrote:Hmm, sounds like the DB got corrupt somehow, but I have no clue how that would happen. Did anything weird happen during the upgrade? If you restore from backup does it come back normally?

I have actually noticed this too
Can I still restore from a backup? (it has been 2 weeks since I upgraded and went from 2.9.4? to 2.9.7)

I have also noticed where sometime I have to delete a podcast twice to get it to delete.

Thanks
Andy
BB 8820 OS 4.5
BB 8820
OS 4.5
ahagenmaier

New postby SHKaminski on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 pm

FreydNot wrote:I have lots of suggestions for the widget.
First, how about a larger version? . . .
. . . add a "rewind a little" button . . . and a "fast forward a little" button . . .
. . . more high contrast . . .
. . . If nothing is playing, then pressing the text should take you to the PT main screen. However, if something is playing (or paused), I would like to see it take you to now playing.

I like these suggestions.
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements