RIM vs CARRIER for downloads

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

RIM vs CARRIER for downloads

New postby cadzilla74 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:23 am

I keep forgetting to ask this but it drives me a bit crazy.

So I only let PT download when charging because I subscribe to a bunch of stuff and the Vodcast files can be quite large. Every time I start PT I notice at the top of the screen I'm connected to RIM. This goes pretty well as it starts out checking each subscription for new episodes but once that completes and it starts downloading podcast/vodcast files then RIM is SOOOO slooowwww ... it loads about 1 or 2 mb and stalls, then starts again and loads very small 40 - 60kb chunks at a time. After a couple of slow as molasses file downloads PT will all of a sudden switch over to CARRIER which means I'm now hitting Verizon's network finally. With Verizon I'm getting 80 - 200kb chunks and the send/receive indicator rarely is anything but solid throughout a download no matter how large the file is.

So here's my question ... can I force PT to connect to Verizon first then RIM, or even stop RIM altogether and manually choose one preference or the other? I'd like to make CARRIER my Default and just switch over to RIM if Verizon runs into a problem. Did I miss something in the settings in one of the new versions?

Thanks Marcus and Forumites ... PodTrapper, still the PodCast King!
<HTC Thunderbolt/Gingerbread and Motorola Droid 3/Gingerbread - Verizon - PodTrapper 3.0.21> - <HoneyDew 2.0.6 HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid 3>
cadzilla74

Re: RIM vs CARRIER for downloads

New postby marwatk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Yep, you can disable the RIM methods in advanced download settings. Settings -> Download Settings -> (Menu) Advanced. In there turn off BIS and BES and it should do what you're looking for.

Let me know if not.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby cadzilla74 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Arrgghhh ... I feel like such a dumbas$ ... I went through every menu like 6 times and never once did it dawn on me to hit the danged BB button while in a menu to see if there were any other options!!! Thanks as always Marcus. I have disabled BIS and BES. When I get home in the morning from work and fire up PT to replenish my subscriptions with new episodes I'll see how things go.
<HTC Thunderbolt/Gingerbread and Motorola Droid 3/Gingerbread - Verizon - PodTrapper 3.0.21> - <HoneyDew 2.0.6 HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid 3>
cadzilla74

New postby marwatk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Well, don't feel bad. I get that a lot, no apps really do that (a menu within a settings screen). I should really put a button there instead.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby cadzilla74 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:13 am

Disabling BIS and BES worked perfectly. My downloads all default to Carrier now and it's much faster.
cadzilla74

Return to Bugs and help