Switch Device | Change Device | Upgrade OS | Reinstall OS

Switch Device | Change Device | Upgrade OS | Reinstall OS

New postby mtech on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 am

Hi. I hope your vacation was good and you are only reading this after your return. It is not urgent but it is time-sensitive. I've been reading for days and can not fix my issue.

My BB Tour 9630's trackball died. Verizon mailed me a new one. I switched over from old to new. But VersaTool is not behaving.

My "WebLinks" popup menu transferred fine, with both the default items and the ones I added to it. But my other custom popup menu did not transfer over.

My Home Screen Bookmarks transferred fine.

Only two of my six Really Convenient Keys transferred over.

I still have the old BB but must return it in 7 days to Verizon or face a penalty. I'd like to resolve this before then so I don't have to recreate VT settings.

I don't see on my old BB how to manually backup the settings to the SD card. I do see that the SD card has a folder off the root called VersaTool and has .bak files inside it, so I guess they are autogenerated.

I did use BBDM6 to backup the settings (about six different time) but when I restore the settings using BBDM6, I only get the partial restore results described above.

I saved all the files on my SD card before switching to the new device and do have a bunch of "VersaTool Backup YYYYMMDD.bak" files to choose from. But alas, no luck using the Restore From Backup feature.

Any help?

Thanks!
Droid Bionic | Android 2.3.4 | System 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon,en.US| Fav Podcast: This American Life
mtech

Re: SOLVED!

New postby mtech on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 am

SOLVED MY OWN ISSUE (don't you hate when people waste your time crying for help and then fixing it!)

Basically, somewhere along the lines of all my attempts to get VersaTool to transfer from old to new device, I had reinstalled VersaTool anew on my new device and had loaded the latest official release instead of the latest beta, which is what was on my old device. What does this mean -- it means that when I restored settings from newer beta version into older official version of program, they did not all take.

So the fix was to upgrade VersaTool on new device to latest beta and voila, my settings came back in full.

Phew!

I do hope this helps someone else who is boneheaded enough to downgrade VT version!

Sorry for crying wolf!
Droid Bionic | Android 2.3.4 | System 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon,en.US| Fav Podcast: This American Life
mtech

Re: Switch Device | Change Device | Upgrade OS | Reinstall OS

New postby marwatk on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 am

:) No worries. It's my fault for not publishing the current beta to all users. (It's been 'beta' for like 9 months, heh)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help