List items not acting as expected

List items not acting as expected

New postby EndingPop on Sat May 08, 2010 11:56 am

I'm running HoneyDew v1.0.20 on a BlackBerry Tour 9630, OS 5.0 on Verizon. This is part feature request and part support request, so I'm not really sure where this should go.

I have "Show Inactive" selected, and items I've removed from the list are shown with a check mark. I believe this is expected, but there doesn't appear to be a way to permanently delete them. There are some items I've added that were just random keyboard presses to test the sync feature, and I don't want them to exist anywhere in HD anymore.

I also expected the list to have a couple of levels. An added item is "active", and then the user can check the item (for instance, once it is in the cart at the store). I want to have an option to still have this item in the view, but at the bottom, and with the checked off symbol still there. Finally, I want to be able to remove the item from the list entirely, so it won't show up at all, but still have the string saved somewhere so it can autocomplete when I'm adding the item again. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I'd also like to be able to edit the history of saved items so certain ones don't show up in as autocomplete options. It appears that the first two parts are there, but not the second two. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I also think using the word "Delete" is not the best to describe what's happening. It's really being checked off or removed from the list. Delete is what I'd reserve for deleting the string from the history.

Also, there are a couple of options that are available from the in the "View List" mode but not from the "Add Items" mode: Manual Sync and About.
Motorola Droid X2 running Android 2.2.2 on Verizon

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

Re: List items not acting as expected

New postby marwatk on Sat May 08, 2010 1:29 pm

EndingPop wrote:I have "Show Inactive" selected, and items I've removed from the list are shown with a check mark. I believe this is expected, but there doesn't appear to be a way to permanently delete them. There are some items I've added that were just random keyboard presses to test the sync feature, and I don't want them to exist anywhere in HD anymore.

You can perma-delete things via the 'Purge' item in the settings screen menu. Check out this page for details: http://www.versatilemonkey.com/wiki/HoneyDew_Cleanup

EndingPop wrote:I also expected the list to have a couple of levels. An added item is "active", and then the user can check the item (for instance, once it is in the cart at the store). I want to have an option to still have this item in the view, but at the bottom, and with the checked off symbol still there. Finally, I want to be able to remove the item from the list entirely, so it won't show up at all, but still have the string saved somewhere so it can autocomplete when I'm adding the item again. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I'd also like to be able to edit the history of saved items so certain ones don't show up in as autocomplete options. It appears that the first two parts are there, but not the second two. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Unfortunately decisions I made during design mean that right now it can only support a binary on/off state for items. I have it on my todo list to make it more robust, but that's likely not going to be for a while.

EndingPop wrote:I also think using the word "Delete" is not the best to describe what's happening. It's really being checked off or removed from the list. Delete is what I'd reserve for deleting the string from the history.

Well, ideally you're never using the menu, instead clicking an item or hitting the 'del' key, but I could definitely see 'Remove' being a better label.

EndingPop wrote:Also, there are a couple of options that are available from the in the "View List" mode but not from the "Add Items" mode: Manual Sync and About.

That one's actually on purpose. Trying to keep the menus as sparse as possible where I can (which is why most advanced functions are only in the settings screen menu).

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help