General Use Observations

General Use Observations

New postby kaediil on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Ok, after a weekend of heavy use, here are a couple of observations/opinions that my wife and I have made on HoneyDew. I liked the overall concept of the app and once I kinda got the idea of how the synch works it is good, but I still think giving the user the ability to set that they want the app to always send a synch when you exit would be useful.

1) One important feature in terms of deciding to purchase for us is the notification on the icon of a change to a list. Multiple times I did not see the BBM message in my messages and missed the fact that there were changes to lists in HoneyDew.

2) From a usability UI point, the HoneyDew View Lists UI behavior was confusing to us. When you click on a list it expands as expected. I would expect clicking on it again will shrink it back down. Sort of like clicking on a folder in Windows click once to open, again to close. The second click to delete is not intuitive to us. I would have thought simply pressing the delete key would do that. I guess this is maybe more for the touch screen users? Either way, that makes it difficult for us to use and I can see prone to inadvertent deletion of lists.

That is all I had time to type up today. Thanks, and keep up the good work, this is a cool product.

-frank
kaediil

Re: General Use Observations

New postby marwatk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Frank,

I'm wrapping up what I think will be the final features, and I added a 'splat' when there are new items to the app icon. Should have a new release out there tonight.

The list behavior is tricky because of the storm (and basically that's the only reason). The first version was click to expand and click to close. But then I realized that storm users would have to hit the menu to delete a category. This may still be the best approach, not sure. Definitely open to thoughts there. Right now 'escape' will close the open selected item. What I may do is make it that behavior on everything but storm. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, that makes the most sense. What do you think?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Forgot to note how I changed the auto-syncing.

So the first time you exit it sends a sync, always. Then, within an hour of the last sync, regardless of type, every time you exit it's setting a 5 minute timer to sync. But, if you go back in and make more changes the sync is pushed out to 5 minutes again. So, after the first sync, the update happens 5 minutes after your last change and exit.

What do you think about that? (My goal here is avoiding constant PINs for people who would open and close the app on every delete or add).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby kaediil on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Marcus,

That is great. I like all the ideas, especially the synch idea with the 5 minute delay. Except for keeping track of CM with two versions which I know will make it harder, that changed list behavior is perfect.

BTW on a purely software topic, do you use a CM system when you develop, like google's free subversion repo?

-frank
kaediil

New postby kaediil on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Grabbed the new beta. I like it very much.

-frank
kaediil

New postby ylexot on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:47 am

marwatk wrote:The list behavior is tricky because of the storm (and basically that's the only reason). The first version was click to expand and click to close. But then I realized that storm users would have to hit the menu to delete a category. This may still be the best approach, not sure. Definitely open to thoughts there. Right now 'escape' will close the open selected item. What I may do is make it that behavior on everything but storm. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, that makes the most sense. What do you think?

As a Storm owner, I would also prefer that clicking the category expands and collapses the category. It is more intuitive. Since deleting an entire category is probably pretty rare, putting that in the menu should be fine, IMHO. Clicking an item to delete, on the other hand, seems to be a good way to operate since I can see people walking through a store, picking up an item, click on it and delete it from the list.
ylexot

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 pm

Except for keeping track of CM with two versions which I know will make it harder

Not sure what you mean there, mind elaborating?

BTW on a purely software topic, do you use a CM system when you develop, like google's free subversion repo?

I use plain old eclipse with a CVS repository on my local machine. I try to (and fail at) checking in whenever I add an atomic feature, and tagging all releases. My changelog is just a partial text file that gets published every time my build script runs (which does the nasty bits of building on multiple JVMs and such).

As a Storm owner, I would also prefer that clicking the category expands and collapses the category.

I think I agree, I'll switch that out for the final release.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion