Feature: Confirm internet is reachable prior to downloading

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Feature: Confirm internet is reachable prior to downloading

New postby Feature Bot on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 am

User pcfascist submitted the following feature request:

Confirm internet is reachable prior to downloading podcasts.

Vote for your favorite features
Feature Bot
Magic Bot

Confirm internet is reachable prior to downloading podcasts.

New postby pcfascist on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:17 am

I spend a lot of time on campus and before I can use the internet I have to log in. This means podtrapper download loads th login page of all my podcasts and since it is such a small file it is able to download hundreds of podcasts which I later have to tell it to redownload. So it would be nice if it confirmed it was able to reach the real internet first, before downloading them, maybe compare the index of google or something?
pcfascist

Re: Feature: Confirm internet is reachable prior to downloading

New postby marwatk on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:36 pm

While not really possible to check for internet connectivity before downloading (being mobile means that one minute's network connectivity doesn't guarantee the next), I've added a feature in 2.5.7 where you can disallow things that aren't audio/video from downloading. I'm not totally done with it, but it should be a start.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Schnitty on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Sorry Marcus - i submitted a similar feature (i then deleted it, but i think i made a mess of things).

i have the same request (i know i requested it a year ago, and you gave me a similar answer). i did notice that BBOS5 seems to better designate when it is in an area that requires an additional wifi login. is that something you can check for and if you see it's required, then you assume coverage is disabled for some period of time? an hour? 10 min? it does screw up the download schedule if a full download queue gets wiped out because it thinks its connected but really it isn't.
BlackBerry 8900 (AT&T) - OS 5.0.0.592
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

I can add a 'pre-wifi' check before resuming the queue if we're on wifi, would that work? (Though it could still break mid-queue).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Schnitty on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:10 pm

i think that is way better than nothing! since wifi generally is faster than cell, it's probably a relatively safe bet that if the wifi is good, it will stay good thru the download (which is to say, it won't suddenly require a login if it didn't initially). worst case, a download fails in mid-stream, the next download in the queue wouldn't start if the wifi was then bad - which would not wipe out the whole queue.
BlackBerry 8900 (AT&T) - OS 5.0.0.592
PodTrapper 2.6.9
Schnitty

Return to Feature requests