New App: VersaTool (Beta)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New App: VersaTool (Beta)

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm

I finally got VersaTool to a state where people can use it. What is VersaTool? VersaTool is an app that aims to provide all the little functions you could want out of your BlackBerry all in one place. The current features are:
  • Alarms: Set as many nameable and snoozable alarms using whatever ring tones you like for any combination of days and times
  • Canned Responses: Save short or long email clippings and combine them to reply quickly to common emails
  • Auto Reply: Use email/PIN/SMS filters to automatically respond to incoming messages with a Canned Response
  • Home Screen Bookmarks: Bookmark URLs, popup menus, VersaTool applets and many other tasks to your BB home screen
  • Popup Menus: Create menus to common tasks like emailing or searching the web and assign them to home screen bookmarks or convenience keys
  • Really Convenient Keys: The built in convenience keys limit you to one action: pressing a button. VersaTool allows you to assign actions to pressing, but also to pressing and holding and double pressing. You can also assign actions to the mute key and end key. Any action allowable by VersaTool is available as a target: Popping a menu, launching an app, launching a URL and more
  • Run on Start: Have a favorite app that you're always running that doesn't allow run on start? Run on Start allows you to run any app when your BlackBerry starts up
  • Run on Schedule: And why limit yourself to running things on startup? Run on Schedule allows you to schedule any action that VersaTool allows on any schedule you want
  • Just Take the Picture: 9 times out of 10 when you want to take a picture of something, by the time I've got my BB out and unlocked I've lost the opportunity. Just Take the Picture allows me to take pictures from anywhere quickly, even while the device is locked (OS 5.0+ only)
  • Tip Calculator: Are you deficient in basic arithmetic like I am? Tip Calculator will make sure your deficiencies don't penalize your wait staff
  • Unit Conversion: Need to know how many angstroms are in a meter? Easy peasy with Unit Converter
  • Weather: Bookmark the weather for your city to your home screen and see the weather at a glance. The home screen icon always shows the current weather and highs and lows for the day

And many more to come. I'm looking for more ideas to implement, so if anyone has any let me know.

Grab it here: http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/versatool/

Let me know what you think. I'm thinking about pricing this app at $4.99, so I'd love feedback on that as well.

Over the next few days I'll be fleshing out the documentation and web site assets (like the user manual), so expect those shortly.

Finally, I'm running a bug hunting experiment, make sure you check it out.
-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New App: VersaTool (Beta)

New postby jlawler4 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 am

Works fantastic, but can't get the picture to work. Am getting error "Error taking picture: javax.microedition.media.MediaException:Requested format not supported." Storm on 5.0.
jlawler4

New postby jlawler4 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 am

When I google search from the shortcut, no matter what I type in, it just searches for the word "search"
jlawler4

New postby jonhedge1 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:43 am

love this app! the "conversion" chart is brilliant! i'm always having to look online for just such info. one problem is with the "just...picture"; i get a big black square in the middle of the screen that does nothing. i have to actually exit the whole app to get it to go away. i can't just back out. also, the "run at startup" didn't run ubertwitter on startup. still playing with it... will be very cool when finished!
running a curve 8330 with released 5.0.0.438.
jonhedge1

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:39 am

Hi guys, thanks for the reports!

jlawler4 wrote:Works fantastic, but can't get the picture to work. Am getting error "Error taking picture: javax.microedition.media.MediaException:Requested format not supported." Storm on 5.0.

Hmm, does this happen no matter how you go into it? (Via shortcut, via the icon in VT, or via a Home Screen bookmark?) I think I know what's causing it, but want to make sure.

jlawler4 wrote:When I google search from the shortcut, no matter what I type in, it just searches for the word "search"

Thanks, will look into that one.

jonhedge1 wrote:also, the "run at startup" didn't run ubertwitter on startup.

Does it run any other apps, or are all of them broken on your phone?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby contactchris on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am

jlawler4 wrote:When I google search from the shortcut, no matter what I type in, it just searches for the word "search"

Hi! I got the same results too, but when I went into the "Popup Menu" settings and edited the dropdown menu box by changing the default 'None' to 'Search'. That seems to have solved the problem. Hope that helps .... Great app by the way!
contactchris

Return to Announcements