New PodTrapper Beta (2.6.6)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Beta (2.6.6)

New postby marwatk on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Ok, for reals this time, this one is really going to be the production release. Really. Unless someone finds a major issue.

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

* Fix for downloading via apple servers that don't support an end range greater than the file size
* Altered itunes impersonation to allow downloads of iTunesU
* Cancelling a confirmation for "Play Next (Delete)" no longer skips to next episode
* Setting to have update check look for betas instead of release versions
* Support update check for corporate builds
* Fix issue with a single press media key press registering as two

Let me know how it goes.

Also, I've decided to throttle the update notifications when I do go public with the real release (so your update check will have a 1 in X change of seeing that there's a new version, where X is probably 20). My goal with that is to avoid getting inundated with thousands of emails from everyone upgrading all at once. Anyone see any issues with that?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Beta (2.6.6)

New postby grey on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Sorry Marcus, but I've still got the same problem with having to hold down the mute button for pause/play, with or without PT having the focus. It does work fine using the headset controls. I just emailed you my logs from trying it.

On a related but different note, how difficult would it be to set up a separate download page for users to download older versions of PT for the rare times that an upgrade causes problems?
grey

New postby Loopy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 pm

The problem still happens. :(
Loopy

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:08 am

Ok, for really reals this time. Just posted 2.6.7 that should really fix it. Let me know if not.

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Loopy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:13 am

Yey. Fixed for me.
Loopy

New postby grey on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 am

Yes...fixed. Thanks for being so responsive and quick. Absolutely incredible customer support!
grey

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:31 am

Great! I hate bugs like that where they're fixed differently on different phones. Heh.

Let me know if you guys find anything else wrong with the beta.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:01 am

marwatk wrote:Also, I've decided to throttle the update notifications when I do go public with the real release (so your update check will have a 1 in X change of seeing that there's a new version, where X is probably 20). My goal with that is to avoid getting inundated with thousands of emails from everyone upgrading all at once. Anyone see any issues with that?

I see a few potential issues, depending on implementation:
-Is the randomness set in the client or on the server? I ask because if you have a critical update, you might want to speed up the distribution process.
-How often does PT check for updates? Is there a set interval, or is it whenever PT checks for podcast updates, or what? What I'm really curious about is the expected time it takes to successfully detect that an update exists.
-Is it possible to put a ceiling on the time before it sees an update? You could gradually increase the detection probability over time, or just switch it to 100% after X days. If PT only checks once a day, it wouldn't be out of the question for some users to go a month before seeing the update, which just seems unacceptable.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

The randomness is all server side, so no worries there. (I can adjust it at will).

The update check is every 24 hours.

I'm actually planning on ramping it up to 100% here soon, I don't want people running for weeks on the older one when there's a new one, really I just wanted to prevent a flood of people if there were bugs (having everyone upgrade only to have to upgrade again 2 days later is a pain for the user, I figure). There are few hundred people using it now, so I figure I'm safe to open the gates. (It was initially set at 5% chance of being updated, which was super slow, now it's 20%). At 20% it should update 80% of my users within 7 days or so.
After that I'll likely up it to 100%.

Though somehow people were still running 2.1 and 2.0 before this, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I guess they just ignore the popup? I actually don't remember if it'll pop up more than once or not.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements