New PodTrapper Beta Discussion (3.0.19)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Beta Discussion (3.0.19)

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi guys,

I just posted 3.0.19. In this one I changed out the download and service backend on both platforms, so I imagine there will be bugs. The major change is that android now doesn't have an 'Exit', and it doesn't require the constant icon in the status bar. I think I've countered the case where the OS kills me periodically, but I'm interested to see what you experience on various devices.

Here's the complete changelog:
Android: Fixed storage folder moving
Android: Removed constant icon in status bar (yay!)
Android: Enabled run on start
Common: New download timeout mechanism should fix LTE issues for some users
Common: New download retry throttling mechanism to prevent battery overuse (exponential backoff)
Common: Backups are now down by date instead of version to prevent overwriting

Let me know if you run into any issues with it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Beta Discussion (3.0.19)

New postby SHKaminski on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:18 am

Marcus,

I'm trying out the speed-changing add-on, Presto, that I downloaded from your post here. But with 3.0.19 I get a message that it had expired.
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 am

It should be in the market now, if you uninstall the old one PT will pop up a link to the market if you attempt to alter playback speed. Let me know if not.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 am

marwatk wrote:It should be in the market now, if you uninstall the old one PT will pop up a link to the market if you attempt to alter playback speed. Let me know if not.

-Marcus

It worked. I like it. It appears to work very well. Great add-on to PT.
SHKaminski

New postby FreydNot on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 pm

I have recently switched from the audio version of TWiT, Windows Weekly and Tech News today to the small video versions. I have noticed a few quirks when playing video. In no particular order...

When moving from one video podcast in a play list to another video podcast, the screen is blank when the second podcast starts playing.

When pausing the video using the pause switch on my BT headphones, the video will start playing on its own about 8 seconds later. If I press the BT pause again, it will pause and stay paused.

When rotating from portrait to landscape while video is playing, the video maintains the width that it had in portrait mode (I know this is a new feature. Frankly, I am happy the video continues playing when switching from portrait to landscape).

While video is playing, the podcast pauses when I press the home button (even though I have "Pause videos when not displayed" set to NO).

Sometimes when I press play in the now playing screen, I get audio but the video screen does not appear (it is acting as if it was an audio podcast). Doing a "Reset Player" always fixes this problem.

I'll try to send in log files the next time things happen.
FreydNot

New postby randalroe on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

I must be overlooking it, but where's the setting to disable the status bar icon?

Thanks.

Randal

marwatk wrote:Hi guys,

I just posted 3.0.19. In this one I changed out the download and service backend on both platforms, so I imagine there will be bugs. The major change is that android now doesn't have an 'Exit', and it doesn't require the constant icon in the status bar. I think I've countered the case where the OS kills me periodically, but I'm interested to see what you experience on various devices.

Here's the complete changelog:
Android: Fixed storage folder moving
Android: Removed constant icon in status bar (yay!)
Android: Enabled run on start
Common: New download timeout mechanism should fix LTE issues for some users
Common: New download retry throttling mechanism to prevent battery overuse (exponential backoff)
Common: Backups are now down by date instead of version to prevent overwriting

Let me know if you run into any issues with it.

-Marcus
randalroe

New postby FreydNot on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 am

Today I noticed when playing a video podcast, you have to touch the video area to get the transport controls to come up. If you click on the black are that doesn't have video, nothing happens. My preference would be for the transport controls to appear regardless of where on the screen you touch.

When holding in portrait, videos only take up a small portion at the top. I took a screen shot, but the video wasn't captured. The non-black area at the top is where the video is.

FreydNot

New postby tnt118 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 am

As a very recent switchover from PodTrapper on Blackberry to PodTrapper on Android, I'm going to give it a week or two to get used to the device before weighing in on the beta discussion. I just wanted to mention one brief thing that was brought up in the previous beta thread. On Blackberry a notification sound is usually delayed by a few seconds while the vibrate happens, many times giving you time to acknowledge the notification before the sound happens, and therefor never triggering PodTrapper to stop, rewind, and restart. That doesn't happen on Android, so users of each will experience this differently.

I don't have an answer, just wanted to make that observation.

Edit: Deleted this comment, I didn't realize at first the oversized buttons were car mode. :)
tnt118

New postby jayf on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:26 am

After using this latest Beta for a little over a week, here are some observations.

I have a Droid X and I'm running DarkSlide 4.2 ROM.

The new Android-based life cycle is much more stable than the previous version. The device's battery life is noticeably longer and scheduled downloads are much more reliable. Previously it would take about 10 minutes after the scheduled download time for the app to check for new episodes. Now it happens within a few minutes.

A couple of times I have noticed that new episodes were recognized but were not downloaded. The message on the episode was "Waiting to Download". I ended up downloading them manually.

The icon in the notification bar has peculiar yet seemingly consistent behavior. When the device starts the app spins up in the background, which is very nice, but the icon is not shown. When an episode begins to play the icon appears with a message "PodTrapper running". When the episode is paused the icon remains. When one episode in a playlist ends and another begins the icon is refreshed and the message is briefly displayed again. When an episode ends and no other episode automatically begins the icon disappears.

I love the new tabbed interface. It makes the app much easier to use. One thing that is still a little cumbersome however is switching playlists. You have to make sure you do not have the playlist tab currently selected, long-press the playlist tab, select the list, then select the playlist tab again to see it. Here are a couple of suggestions that may help.
1. Allow the long press of the Playlist tab to function when the playlist tab is currently selected.
2. After a playlist is selected automatically display the playlist tab.

There have been a couple of times where I needed to shut down the application to clear up problems. Sometimes the player gets itself into a loop where it is starting and pausing continually and there is no way I can figure out to get it to stop without shutting it down. Reset Player does not seem to work. Now with the exit menu option missing the only way to do that is to go into Settings/ Manage Applications/Running.. find PodTrapper and Force Close it.

I love the fact that the Email Episode option is available from the Now Playing screen. Before I would have to go out to the main list, find the right podcast and long-press on the desired episode to email. This is one of my favorite features as I am always listening to things that I know my friends and family would enjoy and I want to share it with them. I think Email Episode should be available from anywhere whenever an episode is currently playing but maybe that is asking a bit much :) One problem I have though, and this was happening before this version as well, when I choose Email... and then GMail from the list of email applications... it causes GMail crash. If I choose Choose More... and then select GMail it works but there is no Subject.

Something else I've been meaning to mention for a while and is not particular to this version is the scheduling of podcasts. A couple of years ago I requested the ability to be able to schedule weekly podcasts and you added that which was great. I do have one podcast however that is published twice daily during the week: BBC Global News. I have never seen anyone complain in the forums about not being able to schedule these types of podcasts so I've just kept manually adjusting the times. Perhaps you could design a better scheduler interface that will accommodate all types of podcasts. Here is a clip of the windows task scheduler gui. I'm sure it could be improved upon but maybe it will give you some ideas. Like I said I've been manually setting times for over a year now so this is nothing crucial just something to think about :)

Thanks
- J
jayf

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 am

Hi guys,

Lot's of feedback, thanks!

Video issues: Will see what I can do about those. There's gotta be a way to handle it better.

Status bar icon: It's only supposed to show up while you're listening. It's a bug that it doesn't go away when paused. Will fix.

Will fix the tab buttons not being available to long press on their screens.

Starting/pausing continuously: Can you shoot me a copy of your logs when you see this?

GMail crash: Will see if I can fix that.

Complicated schedule: Hmm, I'm not sure on this one. Any reason why you wouldn't just set it to twice a day and leave it?

Keep it coming!

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby phoneboy on Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

A couple of bugs in 3.0.20:

Tech News Today (audio podcast) doesn't properly load its podcast image (others from TWiT.tv do).

Videos from the Techgrouch podcast (http://techgrouch.mevio.com/) sometimes quit part-way through playing with an error.
phoneboy

New postby marwatk on Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 pm

phoneboy wrote:Videos from the Techgrouch podcast (http://techgrouch.mevio.com/) sometimes quit part-way through playing with an err

Hmm, what phone and OS are you on? Can you shoot me a copy of your logs when you see the error?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby williamlmiles on Sat May 07, 2011 7:42 pm

i am getting media exception error when i get a phpne call while listening not everytime but when it happens i have to reset my blackberry 9650 bold
williamlmiles

New postby marwatk on Tue May 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi William,

Can you shoot me a copy of your logs next time that happens?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements