New VersaTool Beta (1.1.3 - RSS Reader)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New VersaTool Beta (1.1.3 - RSS Reader)

New postby marwatk on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi guys,

I took a sidetrack from other stuff (cross-platform honeydew, podtrapper fixes, versatool fixes, etc) to make an RSS reader. I couldn't find a decent Viigo replacement for OS6 and was dying without it, so I wrote one. It's not 100% done yet, but I've been using it and it works pretty well, so I figured I'd get it published. Note that I haven't fixed any other VersaTool OS 6 bugs yet, that's next on my todo list.

Also worth noting that this is an OS 5.0+ feature only (it uses an SD card database so as not to consume memory storing articles, which is only available on 5.0 and later).

Someone mentioned having Google reader syncing and such, but I wasn't sure what they meant or how far they'd like that to go. If they want to let me know I'll be happy to look into it. Right now it's SUPER simple. The feed browser is very sparse as well, let me know via a post here any feeds you'd like me to add urgently and I'll get them out there. Some time later I'll grab some feeds and organize them. Right now I just emailed a list of my feeds to myself. It would be super simple to have just the feed list sync with Google, so maybe I'll do that.

Grab it here.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New VersaTool Beta (1.1.3 - RSS Reader)

New postby ofutur on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Interesting :)
The best tool (for me) would be something like a cross between Viigo and BerryReader.
Viigo could cache a 1000 articles which is great for offline browsing
Berryreader synchronizes feeds with Google reader, which saves a lot of time

I would find it useful if the app could support multiple accounts, but I'm not sure many people need this.

BlackBerry News Feeds is also out, maybe there is something to pick up from there :)
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 pm

When you say 'syncs with google reader', what level of syncing are you talking? Read status, or just what feeds you have where? (The version I have here allows for up to 1k cached articles)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

I mean read and favourites. That way I always find my feeds in the state I left them.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Hmm, read status may be hard, but I can definitely look into favorites.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements