New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.14)

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.14)

New postby marwatk on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi guys,

This is minor on features and fixes that you'll see, more cleanup. There was a huge memory leak on Android and a few little ones that were likely impacting running it over long stretches of time. Those should be fixed now.

I'm also trying to track down an bluetooth issue on the original Droid running Froyo (2.2), if anyone has that configuration can you let me know how Bluetooth is working for you?

Also, does anyone have a BlackBerry 9100 (new pearl?)

Let me know how it goes for you.

* Resize thumbnails before saving them to try to conserve memory
* Fix 'N' shortcut on BB Pearl (sacrificing 'B')
* Android: Fix huge memory leak (would crash it after viewing about 50 different screens)
* Fixed issue applying settings to many podcasts (would lose update interval)
* Altered sleep timer behavior to be more reliable

Oh, and a minor note. It's getting progressively harder to test on many devices for each release, at least for the betas, so definitely let me know if you see major breakage any time you upgrade to a new beta.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.14)

New postby inspirado on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:22 pm

I updated and still found PT closes on my in the background.

Also receive an error notice when opening and closing registration settings. Didn't close pt or anything, just generated an error with the widget.

Just emailed logs with a brief description of problems...

Dave
inspirado

New postby FreydNot on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:13 pm

There are times where it feels like PT has jumped forward a bit when I pause and then later start playing again. I haven't been able to figure out if the problem is really in PT but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else is having a similar experience.
FreydNot

New postby Matt on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm on an EVO 4G running PodTrapper 2.9.14.

Noticed that whenever I am connected to 4G, PodTrapper says "Out of Coverage." I have to turn off 4G and use either Wi-Fi or 3G to download anything.

I'm sure this is a limited problem, since there's only a couple of 4G phones and limited 4G markets, but it would be nice to download some of these larger podcasts at 4G speeds, if possible.

Also, been noticing that PodTrapper seems to close often when it is in the background. Haven't paid enough attention to detect a pattern yet, but it seems recent to the last couple of updates.

I'm a Blackberry convert to Android. Keep up the good work, love the app and thanks for letting us transfer between devices.

--Matt
Matt

New postby marwatk on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am

inspirado wrote:I updated and still found PT closes on my in the background.

:/ Do you notice any patterns to when it does? I have a few ideas on how to fix it, but they all involve major changes to the architecture. How frequently does it happen? As a work around, would it be useful if you could, for example, have PT auto-launch when you started charging?

FreydNot wrote:There are times where it feels like PT has jumped forward a bit when I pause and then later start playing again. I haven't been able to figure out if the problem is really in PT but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else is having a similar experience.

Definitely let me know if you see a pattern.

Matt wrote:I'm sure this is a limited problem, since there's only a couple of 4G phones and limited 4G markets, but it would be nice to download some of these larger podcasts at 4G speeds, if possible.

I'll definitely look in to why that is. Will let you know and get it fixed.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby San Juan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:20 am

At the end of an episode (podcast?) from a feed, I hit the back button and sometimes it goes to the episode list, and sometimes it goes to the Tag List (I have books, Tech, News, and Series).
I have not been able to determine when or why it does one way or the other.
San Juan

New postby scaryslocuda on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 pm

I've been using 2.9.14 for about a week now, and its working very well (by far the best version so far). Here are my only issues:

- When I add a new podcast, it doesn't adopt the "new podcast settings" that I have defined. In other words, when I add a new podcast, it doesn't automatically download the two most recent episodes, etc...

- Occasionally when I'm in a podcast and I'm trying to back out, the program will hang. Sometimes it comes back online, and sometimes it force closes. This happens maybe once a day.

- The auto-download isn't working very well. I've closely monitored PT for the past two nights (both with my wifi enabled and plugged into power) and its not seeming to download or update ALL episodes. Some get downloaded, but others are either left unfinished (partially downloaded) or untouched.

Otherwise, I feel that PT is developing pretty nicely. I would love to see a new widget (like those discussed by others in previous forum threads), plus an overall graphical upgrade would also be nice, but I understand that those two things are probably best left for the end of development, or even in later revisions.

Keep up the good work!
scaryslocuda

New postby FreydNot on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

marwatk wrote:
FreydNot wrote:There are times where it feels like PT has jumped forward a bit when I pause and then later start playing again. I haven't been able to figure out if the problem is really in PT but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else is having a similar experience.

Definitely let me know if you see a pattern.

This happened to me again and I paid closer attention. According to the time display, everything was happening as expected. Resuming play jumped back 3 seconds from where I paused as I have configured. However, the audio that came out was shifted relative to the time display that was shown in the last play. I would guess maybe a shift of 30 seconds forward.

So, here is what happens...

Play the podcast
Listen for a while
Pause the podcast
Wait a few seconds (or longer)
Play the podcast.

The numerical display shows everything is working as expected. However when you play the podcast after pausing the audio has jumped forward.

I'll see if I can isolate it and send in a log...
FreydNot

New postby inspirado on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:29 pm

So far issue with PT shutting down when backgrounded appears to be fixed! Thanks

I also like the icon in the upper left of the notification bar, but would like to request a modification: Could it display only when PT is actually playing a podcast? On mine it is always there even when PT is in the background. Therefore it will permanently be taking up space.

Thanks again for all the hard work! This application is quite literally perfect!

D
inspirado

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks!

inspirado wrote:I also like the icon in the upper left of the notification bar, but would like to request a modification: Could it display only when PT is actually playing a podcast? On mine it is always there even when PT is in the background. Therefore it will permanently be taking up space.

Sadly this is enforced by the OS for any background app that requests not to be killed. Eventually I'll rework the backend to not require it (and gracefully handle killing and restarting automatically), but that's going to take some work (and countless betas to test it), so it's likely not going to make the official release. Definitely something I plan to work on, though.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby SHKaminski on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 am

inspirado wrote:I also like the icon in the upper left of the notification bar, but would like to request a modification: Could it display only when PT is actually playing a podcast? On mine it is always there even when PT is in the background. Therefore it will permanently be taking up space.

marwatk wrote:Eventually I'll rework the backend to not require it (and gracefully handle killing and restarting automatically) . . . Definitely something I plan to work on, though.

I suppose I'm being contrary here, but I like the notification alert to display even when PT isn't playing--that way, I can quickly get to it from anywhere. I'd also like to have the same actions that are on the widget appear on the notification alert--go to PT and Play/Pause.

I realize I may be in the minority. But I just wanted to chime in. I'll live with it either way.
SHKaminski

New postby dburgessme2 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Old Blackberry user converted to Android a few months back. Thank you much for that!

I'll have to add my two cents here as well concerning the notification bar. I'd like to only see it when something is actually playing when you're able to do that down the road. In the mean time, is there a way to put something in the general settings as an option to display the notification (YES/NO)?

Here's another item I'm not sure has been addressed. I do read these posts quite regularly so forgive me if it's already been brought up.

You've done a great job at having PT pause/play when phone calls are received/made. That works great!

I often use my Droid X in the car mount listening to PT. At the same time, I use the native Google Navigation (GPS) for directions and routing. So, it often "speaks to me" when there are upcoming directions to follow. Unfortunately, it "speaks" over top of PT. It takes the forefront and when it's done talking, I'm back to my podcast but missing the past few seconds. (that can be an important sentence or two that I miss) It really throws you off while listening.

Is there a way to have PT recognize any other SOUND that is activated during playback so that it would pause/play just as with phone calls?

Thanks for all the hard work, Marcus!

DB
dburgessme2

New postby marwatk on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 am

dburgessme2 wrote:I'll have to add my two cents here as well concerning the notification bar. I'd like to only see it when something is actually playing when you're able to do that down the road. In the mean time, is there a way to put something in the general settings as an option to display the notification (YES/NO)?

No, basically there are two choices at this point: 1) The notification is present, or 2) PodTrapper gets killed periodically by the OS. There's a 3rd, that of making it handle restarts gracefully, but that's going to take some doing, so right now it's only 1 or 2.

dburgessme2 wrote:I often use my Droid X in the car mount listening to PT. At the same time, I use the native Google Navigation (GPS) for directions and routing. So, it often "speaks to me" when there are upcoming directions to follow. Unfortunately, it "speaks" over top of PT. It takes the forefront and when it's done talking, I'm back to my podcast but missing the past few seconds. (that can be an important sentence or two that I miss) It really throws you off while listening.

I'm not sure, but I'll definitely look into it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements