New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.10)

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:32 pm

I pushed some more betas:

2.9.10 Beta Version (Aug 10, 2010)

* BB: Fixed date display for episode subtitle
* Android: More logging to detect video problems
* Fixed errant 'May need to restore from backup' message
* Made playback header (progress bar, title, etc) clickable to play pause again (was broken)
* Android: Fixed issue with help popups and other messages causing force close
* Remove 'Car Mode' from non-touch screen devices
* BB: Fixed (?) permissions issue when starting new version
* BB: Fixed buttons not having correct size when not in car mode
* Android: Fixed double press issue with Bluetooth controls
* Fixed main screen view mode not persisting across restart
* Android: Clean up keyboard settings screen
* Switch playlist on playlist screen needs to indicate that it has a kb shortcut (N)
* BB: Podcast list doesn't preserve position when updating
* Keyboard shortcut for Last Played/Now Playing (C)
* View w/Ready Eps shouldn't hide bad feeds
* If user tries to add a podcast they already have turn off 'View w/Ready Eps'
* Message letting user know that podcast has more than 'max feed read' episodes
* Added "Recently Played" Screen (only during current run, not when restarted)
* BB: Attempt to fix RIM bug on new 8330 OS (media player currently busy error)

Will continue the discussion below...
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Betas (2.9.10)

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm

FreydNot wrote:Video on my Vibrant (2.1) still isn't working.

I'm using the "Best of Youtube" podcast in the top 100 list in the browser for my testing. Though I tried the one you were using and it worked as well. I've put more logging in 2.9.10, can you try that?

FreydNot wrote:
marwatk wrote:* Playlist setting to auto-repeat items * Playlist setting to reset listened items when adding

How are these intended to work? I don't see any way to turn them on or off.

You can edit those in a playlist's settings.

I definitely like the middle play button in landscape mode in your mocks, but I'm worried about different layouts when in different modes (Because, for example, a phone like the BB 9700 is in landscape even when right side up). Though in this case that wouldn't matter. I'm definitely going to work on it.

BrewerBC wrote:Any word on using our Registration code from the Blackberry version on Android. Can't seem to get mine to work.

Any of the new 12 digit codes should work. If you need to generate one go here.

Cilraaz wrote:I did have the same permissions issue on install, though. This release I was able to resolve the problem by manually changing the permissions and rebooting, rather than a full uninstall/reinstall that 2.9.7 required.

This should be fixed in 2.9.10, let me know if not.

San Juan wrote:Can you have Podtrapper not only stop but do the back up when notifications come in? That is a very nice feature when listening to books/spoken word podcasts.

Interesting, how long do your notifications last?

goliatham wrote:BT controls still cause the double-tap issue on my Droid (2.1).

This one should be fixed.

SHKaminski wrote:I think using short press and long press commands gives more flexibility to the button layout.

Definitely something that will happen long term, right now I just wanted to get something working so that people could use it. There's plenty more to do, though.

SHKaminski wrote:Speaking of BeyondPod, it would be very cool to be able to use PT with Locale or Tasker (as you can with BeyondPod). I can think of several applications.

I'm not sure what this means, would you mind elaborating?

scaryslocuda wrote:Video playback is still not working. When I attempt to play a file, the file either begins playing or the screen just goes to black. However, a half second later, I am returned to the informational screen. Attempting to replay yields the same results.

Can you shoot me a copy of your logs using 2.9.10 after seeing this happen? (Via the "email developer" menu item)

scaryslocuda wrote:Upon selecting "View Deleted" files within a specific podcast, you can no longer choose NOT to see the deleted files. In other words, there is no option for "Hide Deleted" files.

Ack, figured I'd be bitten by this at least once. It's an artifact of how Android builds menus (only once), vs the BB (every time). Thought I caught most places, but will fix this one.

scaryslocuda wrote:I've been using DoggCatcher (in the interim between switching from my Blackberry and waiting for PT on Android) and I've gotten very used to having an option for "Only download when on wifi", similar to the "Only download when charging" found on PT. This is crucial in controlling data usage, reducing battery drain, etc.

This should be in there now. You can disable downloading over the cell network.

scaryslocuda wrote:Storage/battery indicators are not working. I used to have PT on my Blackberry Storm, so I was used to seeing the yellow and green bars indicating the amount of available storage (SD card) and the battery levels. Now I only see only one bar (green) and it appears to be full...which is not true for either my battery life or storage capacity. This feature is not necessary, and is better omitted than inaccurate (in my opinion).

It's only storage at this point, if it's not accurate can you shoot me a copy of your logs?

scaryslocuda wrote:Not an issue, but I desperately miss having dedicated hardware buttons for skipping back (if nothing else). I know this is already being addressed.

Not sure what you mean there, can you elaborate?

Keep them coming...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby MrFun on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Can you put back the space bars (separators) in the menu, its much easier to find what you are looking for when its separated by categories.

BB 5.0.732
Blackberry :( Tour 9630 5.0.0.624
MrFun

New postby SHKaminski on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Locale and Tasker for Android
marwatk wrote:I'm not sure what this means, would you mind elaborating?

Locale and Tasker are similar Android programs that let users set up sophisticated actions based on events, locations, other actions, etc. For example, when I'm connected to the bluetooth in my car and plugged into power, Tasker will turn off WIFI, turn on the car dock and set the screen timeout to max. Or, at 7:00 am, Tasker opens up PT and a couple of other apps to start my day. Or when I get a text msg, Tasker will read it aloud.

I use Tasker, but Locale has been around longer. Locale is more expensive and relies on a lot of free and non-free plugins to make it work--Tasker is cheaper and does more out of the box. I believe Tasker uses the Locale API, so a plugin written for Locale can work in Tasker. Here's a comparison of these two plus another similar app called "Settings Profiles:"
http://www.prupert.co.uk/2010/04/28/locale-vs-settings-profile-vs-tasker/

So here's the idea for PT:
PT could provide status info to Tasker or Locale: when there are downloads in the queue, when it's playing or paused, etc. These could trigger other actions--custom notifications, audible announcements, other apps.

PT could also receive actions from Tasker or Locale: play a certain playlist at a certain time of day or day of the week or in the car or at home, begin downloading only at a certain time or place, toggle certain features (e.g. big buttons). Users could create their own custom widgets for certain playlists.

Granted, PT does a lot already (custom download times and playlists), but this could extend the functionality of PT to things that are way beyond the scope of PT itself.

Here's the developer pages for Tasker and Locale:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/developers.html
http://www.twofortyfouram.com/developer.html

It's just an idea, but it seems to be consistent with the innovative approach you've taken with your apps.
SHKaminski

New postby marwatk on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 am

Cool, I'll definitely look into it.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Cilraaz on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 am

marwatk wrote:* BB: Fixed (?) permissions issue when starting new version

The BlackBerry permissions issue is slightly better, but not fixed (at least for me). Upon installing this version, it prompted me with the application permission change dialog. Afterward, the application would not respond until another reboot was done to the phone (first being immediately after the upgrade). I believe this is because the app starts on boot and would need restarted to use the newly applied permissions.

Thank you for the continued development of the application. This app has been worth every penny and then some.
Device: Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Android Version: Gingerbread 2.3.6
Baseband Version: EP4
Modifications: IMoseyON's EP4 Kernel v4.0.0, Humble ROM v5.0 RC2
Cilraaz

New postby San Juan on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15 am

San Juan wrote:Can you have Podtrapper not only stop but do the back up when notifications come in? That is a very nice feature when listening to books/spoken word podcasts.

Interesting, how long do your notifications last?

About one second per notification. I have a short notification sound.
My Alarm clock is a much longer sound.

I seem to remember on my BB that when I got notifications, or phone calls (Oh Yeah, these are phones too!) when I finished the phone call, Podtrapper would backup and restart.

Also on the Car mode. I think the car mode is way too different than stock. It's disorienting. On the Droids with the larger 3.7 and 4.3" screens, I think you can make them a bit smaller and keep the same "look and feel" as the regular screen. Just a thought.
San Juan

New postby scaryslocuda on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm

scaryslocuda wrote:Video playback is still not working. When I attempt to play a file, the file either begins playing or the screen just goes to black. However, a half second later, I am returned to the informational screen. Attempting to replay yields the same results.

marwatk wrote:Can you shoot me a copy of your logs using 2.9.10 after seeing this happen? (Via the "email developer" menu item)

Logs have been sent.

scaryslocuda wrote:Not an issue, but I desperately miss having dedicated hardware buttons for skipping back (if nothing else). I know this is already being addressed.

marwatk wrote:Not sure what you mean there, can you elaborate?

What I'm talking about here are the use of physical buttons (specific to the hardware), like the "convenience buttons" that were on my BB Storm, that can be set to skip foward/back, play/pause, etc. Unfortunately, my HTC Incredible only has 3 total "physical" buttons (power, volume rocker and main button), so I'm not sure its capable of having all of the options I had with my BB. However, if I could press the main button and skip back a few seconds (when I miss a few seconds of audio), that would help a ton. Currently, if I'm not using BT, I'm forced to pull out my phone, push the power button, swipe to unlock, scroll to my PT icon (or widget), open the menu and then select skip back. By that point, I'm 30 seconds past the section I was trying to re-play. This is one of the few times I miss my BB Storm...
scaryslocuda

New postby SHKaminski on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm

scaryslocuda wrote:physical buttons (specific to the hardware), like the "convenience buttons" that were on my BB Storm, that can be set to skip foward/back, play/pause, etc.

I feel the same way about missing the convenience keys on my BB Storm (and not much else, frankly).

How about a notification that you could click to get the same effect? Maybe a button or two on the notification itself that would give access to a couple of critical functions--sort of like the current widget. Of course, you'd still have to hit the power button and unlock the phone, but it may save a few clicks.

Actually, you could do this with Tasker (I know I've already said this)--if PT was open to Tasker for some basic commands. In fact, I already made my own PT notification using Tasker. It only opens PT; but I can get to it from anywhere. If PT worked with Tasker, you could remap the camera button to skip back a little. In fact, you could remap the camera button to turn on the screen, unlock the keyguard, bring up a menu that will let you choose which command to execute, including the camera, if you want it.
SHKaminski

New postby FreydNot on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am

marwatk wrote:* Made playback header (progress bar, title, etc) clickable to play pause again (was broken)

Yes it does. I didn't know it was supposed to work that way. Nice feature.

marwatk wrote:* Android: Fixed double press issue with Bluetooth controls

Yes! Very happy about this one. I have noticed that sometimes play won't start from the BT control. It always works immediately after a pause, but sometimes after it has been paused for a long time or I have run other applications, the BT control won't unpause it. I would think the OS was redirecting the command to another application, but nothing else starts playing. My WAG is that it is somehow related to the feature where if long enough time has passed after a phone call, PT will not auto resume playing (but that is just a WAG). I can always press play on the screen and it will start playing.

marwatk wrote:* Fixed main screen view mode not persisting across restart

Confirmed. My "View W/ Eps" setting is now remembered.

marwatk wrote:* Android: Clean up keyboard settings screen

Confirmed.

marwatk wrote:* Added "Recently Played" Screen (only during current run, not when restarted)

It is an interesting feature. I'm not sure what it will be useful for, but I'm sure we will think up something.

I have also seen a problem where the start of a podcast is cut off if there is an issue with the network. I can force this to happen by:

1) Turn off Wifi
2) Starting a download over the carrier
3) After some of the podcast has been downloaded, turn on wifi on the phone
4) The carrier download will be stopped and the download will resume over wifi.
5) When the download is complete start playing from the beginning. The beginning will actually a few minutes into the podcast.
FreydNot

New postby FreydNot on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 am

marwatk wrote:
FreydNot wrote:Video on my Vibrant (2.1) still isn't working.

I'm using the "Best of Youtube" podcast in the top 100 list in the browser for my testing. Though I tried the one you were using and it worked as well. I've put more logging in 2.9.10, can you try that?

Detailed logs have been sent (just letting other know progress is being made).

marwatk wrote:I definitely like the middle play button in landscape mode in your mocks, but I'm worried about different layouts when in different modes (Because, for example, a phone like the BB 9700 is in landscape even when right side up). Though in this case that wouldn't matter. I'm definitely going to work on it.

It seems messed up that a phone would keep the landscape view even when rotated into portrait orientation. I guessing the majority of devices don't do that? My solution would be another option to for landscape mode in portrait orientation as a fix for these borked phones. My opinion is different layouts in each orientation is desirable enough to warrant having to deal with also adding the workaround for the 9700. Of course the 9700 doesn't have a touch screen, so it wouldn't even have the car mode, right?

marwatk wrote:
BrewerBC wrote:Any word on using our Registration code from the Blackberry version on Android. Can't seem to get mine to work.

Any of the new 12 digit codes should work. If you need to generate one go here.

I retrieved my 12 digit code from the URL and PT accepted it just fine. For those of you searching for the old email, mine had the subject of "Your payment to Versatile Monkey".

marwatk wrote:
SHKaminski wrote:I think using short press and long press commands gives more flexibility to the button layout.

Definitely something that will happen long term, right now I just wanted to get something working so that people could use it. There's plenty more to do, though.

For example, I think a long press on the ">|" button should be "delete this podcast". You know when you get to the end of the podcast, but you don't want to listen to the last couple of minutes? That is when I would do the long press to delete.

SHKaminski wrote:Actually, you could do this with Tasker (I know I've already said this)--if PT was open to Tasker for some basic commands. In fact, I already made my own PT notification using Tasker. It only opens PT; but I can get to it from anywhere. If PT worked with Tasker, you could remap the camera button to skip back a little. In fact, you could remap the camera button to turn on the screen, unlock the keyguard, bring up a menu that will let you choose which command to execute, including the camera, if you want it.

I'm liking this tasker idea. I would probably set it up to remove the swipe to unlock screen while PT is in play mode. This would require PT to advertise its state to tasker, right? My Vibrant only has 3 physical keys; power, volume up and volume down. Since I always run PT at max volume (I only use it as a line source) I wouldn't mind loosing the volume functions. Interesting stuff...
FreydNot

New postby marwatk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:20 am

Cilraaz wrote:The BlackBerry permissions issue is slightly better, but not fixed (at least for me).

Ok, we'll see what I can do with this (didn't have my test one set to run on start, so will check that out).

MrFun wrote:Can you put back the space bars (separators) in the menu, its much easier to find what you are looking for when its separated by categories.

Hmm, I think I can try. The issue here is that android doesn't support them. I'll see if I can fake it on android to get them in the BB version.

SHKaminski wrote:Locale and Tasker for Android

I checked these out and it appears doable, so I'll probably work on that. It'll be a separate install from PodTrapper, though (by design), so it'll probably come later.

Re: pausing for notifications

I'll definitely look into how I can detect that it's happening.

Currently, if I'm not using BT, I'm forced to pull out my phone, push the power button, swipe to unlock, scroll to my PT icon (or widget), open the menu and then select skip back.

I definitely want to solve this, but I'm not 100% sure how to listen for keys when PodTrapper isn't the focus (either in the background or the phone is locked). Do you know if Tasker/Locale can? (If so then it's possible, at least).

FreydNot wrote:t always works immediately after a pause, but sometimes after it has been paused for a long time or I have run other applications, the BT control won't unpause it.

So this is actually a 'feature'. A lot of people complained that with PodTrapper paused they'd go to do something else hours later and PodTrapper would resume (usually because the key they used was dual use). So now if you've left it alone for 5 minutes, you have to go back into PodTrapper to resume it. (Or you can disable the feature by adjusting 'Auto Stop' in the playback settings).

FreydNot wrote:I have also seen a problem where the start of a podcast is cut off if there is an issue with the network. I can force this to happen by:

1) Turn off Wifi
2) Starting a download over the carrier
3) After some of the podcast has been downloaded, turn on wifi on the phone
4) The carrier download will be stopped and the download will resume over wifi.
5) When the download is complete start playing from the beginning. The beginning will actually a few minutes into the podcast.

Can you send me a copy of the logs after doing that and confirming that it cuts off the beginning?

Keep the feedback coming!

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby therealjoeblow on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:05 pm

I get the "It seems this may be a new device...you can restore settings ..." splash screen every time I launch 2.9.10.

( I did restore my 2.9.9 settings after uninstalling it and then installing 2.9.10, but the notification never goes away).

BB8330 OS5

Cheers
The REAL Joe

EDIT: I resolved it by fully exiting PT 2.9.10; then restoring it's own settings; then a battery pull.
therealjoeblow

New postby rone on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 am

I have this version on my N1 and I am loving it. I was long time user on Blackberry. One issue I have is that I added all my podcasts and then decided to change the global settings. (I know backwards) So I deleted the podcasts and re-added them. Everything appears to work fine but now several of the podcasts have the wrong image on the podcast list screen. How do I fix this?
rone

Another feature request

New postby San Juan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:53 am

On the Podiobooks.com website, when subscribing to a book and hitting the traditional rss feed link, a dialog box opens up on the phone with an Open With. Currently It lists my browser and Beyondpod. When selecting Beyondpod, it adds the feed directly.
San Juan

New postby marwatk on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 am

rone wrote:Everything appears to work fine but now several of the podcasts have the wrong image on the podcast list screen. How do I fix this?

Delete the PT_T_* files on your sd card (just the _T_ ones, not any of the others, like _B_ or _E_). I have it on my todo list to have a 'reset thumbnails' menu item to do this automatically, but I haven't finished it yet.

San Juan wrote:On the Podiobooks.com website, when subscribing to a book and hitting the traditional rss feed link, a dialog box opens up on the phone with an Open With. Currently It lists my browser and Beyondpod. When selecting Beyondpod, it adds the feed directly.

I can definitely implement that. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby rone on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:17 am

marwatk wrote:
rone wrote:Everything appears to work fine but now several of the podcasts have the wrong image on the podcast list screen. How do I fix this?

Delete the PT_T_* files on your sd card (just the _T_ ones, not any of the others, like _B_ or _E_). I have it on my todo list to have a 'reset thumbnails' menu item to do this automatically, but I haven't finished it yet.

That fixed it, thanks.
rone

New postby marwatk on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Locking this topic so I don't miss anything (you can always find the latest beta post in the main announcements forum)
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements