New PodTrapper Alphas (Android and BB) 2.9.2

New Apps, versions, features, etc

New PodTrapper Alphas (Android and BB) 2.9.2

New postby marwatk on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi guys,

I fixed a few issues with Android and got the BB version mostly stable (there's still an issue with the Downloads screen).

Grab them both here: http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/ptalpha/

Here are the changes since the last release:

* BlackBerry: First release of new backend code
* Android: Fixed out of memory issue loading bitmaps
* Fixed bug with 'Delete Below'
* Android: Fixed bug with 'Email Developer'
* Android: Fixed issue where Exit would keep reopening PodTrapper
* Android: Fixed initial seeking issue (would always start from the beginning)
* Android: Fixed volume control
* Fixed issues with duration

I haven't tracked down the issue with calls while PT is running on Android, my G1 seemed to work ok even while playing back. Can you guys let me know what models and OS versions you're running? I'm going to see if I can track down a more advanced android phone for further testing.

There are a few issues left in Android from the other thread, but I wanted to fix the major ones first.

Let me know what you find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: New PodTrapper Alphas (Android and BB) 2.9.2

New postby norm807 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:41 am

Ok.. tried the new version. Here are my findings.

Hardware: Droid Incredible Android 2.1(orig, not rooted)
WiFi on

Issue 1: podcasts don't load at startup
I downloaded the new version and installed over the old. When I started podtrapper, I got the trial version text, click next, then got the loading podcasts. It stuck at about 50% and never completed.. I waited a few minutes and figured that I needed to uninstall the old version. After uninstalling the old version, I reinstalled and it worked.

Issue 2: Only works after a reinstall or force close, no additional times.
This is probably the same issue as above, but after the reinstall, it worked, so I subscribed to a handful of podcasts and listed to part of one, then decided I would exit podtrapper and relaunch to see if the bug of auto restarting and not remembering where a show left off where fixed. It exited fine and didn't restart.. awesome.. then I tried to start it and I got what looked like the potrapper main screen. It was blank. some text at the bottom that says "service not connected". I can go into the menu, but if I try to got into settings or any other submenu, it just show the blank screen
While I was messing around with the menus and blank screens, I clicked on menu>more>change view>view w/ready eps and I get an error and forced closed the app, when I started it back up, it worked! I could see and listen to my podcasts.. until the next time I exited with the exit menu. It repeats the whole blank screen issue.

It seams that something might be going wrong with the exit routine.. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next version..
norm807

New postby marwatk on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Can you see if you have any problems answering the phone while it's running/downloading/playing back?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby norm807 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:51 pm

I called my phone with my wifes while I was playing Leo Laporte - The tech guy and downloading another episode. When the call came in, the audio out of the back speaker quit, but when I answered, I could hear both the podcast and the incoming conversation in the ear piece.

Norm
norm807

New postby ronyosh on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:33 am

I also have the Incredible running Android 2.1 and have the same issue that Norm807 has installing 2.9.2. Have gone back to 2.9.1 that has many issues but the major one is no video on vidcasts such as CNET Loaded/404. There is audio. Can anyone help?
Ron
ronyosh

New postby inspirado on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:50 pm

I haven't played with the new version much, but re: not being able to answer calls when podtrapper is on, after a couple battery pulls the problem went away on my Moto Droid. Hasn't resurfaced. Memory bug or something? I can basically trace it right to when I dl'd podtrapper, though, so I don't think it was related to anything else.
inspirado

New postby FreydNot on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm

I will be picking up a T-Mobile Vibrant (AKA Samsung Galaxy S) phone tomorrow and the android version of PT is the first app I will install. I'm coming over from the BB 8900. Is the data compatible between the two versions? Can I simply copy the data folder over to the new phone and keep all of the config and audio files on the Android setup? Should I install the 2.9.2 alpha on my BB first?

What do you advise for someone who is switching from blackberry to android versions of PodTrapper?
FreydNot

New postby kchow84 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Woot, It's finally here. I just downloaded it and will be testing it extensively on my way to/from work...

Just a quick suggestion without having actually listened to a podcast on it as of yet--I know you're busy with stability and core functionality, but having a widget for PT would be awesome. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but a simple play/pause button, time played/total time, as well as display of the artist/title would be great. I know you can come up with something waaaay more useful/functional, but it's a start.
kchow84

New postby FreydNot on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:28 pm

I second the widget suggestion. I would like to see skip forward and skip back buttons emulated in the widget. I think I will miss the side buttons on my blackberry the most.
FreydNot

New postby marwatk on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi guys, thanks for keeping the feedback coming.

I've narrowed down the "only works once until you force closed"/"service not started" issue on 2.1 and later phones. I'll push it out later tonight or tomorrow when I fix a few other items. (I was taking for granted in a lot of places that a BB app just exits the VM when done, so I had a bit more cleanup to do).

I've also fixed the phone call thing (dual playback).

Video is coming, I actually haven't messed with that at all (even tested it).

FreydNot wrote:I'm coming over from the BB 8900. Is the data compatible between the two versions? Can I simply copy the data folder over to the new phone and keep all of the config and audio files on the Android setup? Should I install the 2.9.2 alpha on my BB first?

The data is (read: should be) 100% compatible, but the two default to storing it in different places (there's no /Blackberry on an android device). So as long as you switch storage folders to the right place it should 'just work' on restore. I haven't actually tested that yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I recommend *not* installing 2.9.2 on the BB, since that would make your backups be the same filename, so it would overwrite it. Let me know how it goes.

kchow84 wrote:Just a quick suggestion without having actually listened to a podcast on it as of yet--I know you're busy with stability and core functionality, but having a widget for PT would be awesome. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but a simple play/pause button, time played/total time, as well as display of the artist/title would be great. I know you can come up with something waaaay more useful/functional, but it's a start.

This will be coming, but likely not for a while. I've got a lot more to get stable first, then I'll start on the OS-specific stuff for both platforms. I really need to make it more touch friendly altogether, so that'll be next (global icons at the bottom for things like playlists, downloads, etc).

FreydNot wrote:I second the widget suggestion. I would like to see skip forward and skip back buttons emulated in the widget. I think I will miss the side buttons on my blackberry the most.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure the best way to handle that stuff yet is. I'll definitely be looking for a solution, though, since I don't think you can even pause it right now when it doesn't have focus, which is a huge issue.

Let me know what else you guys find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby FreydNot on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Well, I tried doing a restore using the data from my Blackberry and it was pretty wonky. It took a very long time showing the progress bar filled very slightly and then it came back and told me "I'm sorry, this version of PodTrapper has expired". When I press OK, I get a screen saying "PodTrapper is starting... Loading podcasts" and it just sits there. I can't bring up the options menu and it won't go home when I press the home key. If I press the cancel button, Podtrapper exits.

I also noticed that when searching for podcasts in the built in browser, clicking in the text search box doesn't bring up the virtual keyboard. My phone doesn't have a physical keyboard, so I couldn't search. I was able to manually type a URL and successfully subscribed to a podcast.

Do you have an Android device to see this on? Would it help if I posted screen shots so you can see how it is rendering on a fairly high res device? My Vibrant is 480 x 800 pixels.

Looking forward to the next alpha release...
FreydNot

New postby marwatk on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi guys,

New version:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1228

FreydNot wrote:Well, I tried doing a restore using the data from my Blackberry and it was pretty wonky. It took a very long time showing the progress bar filled very slightly and then it came back and told me "I'm sorry, this version of PodTrapper has expired". When I press OK, I get a screen saying "PodTrapper is starting... Loading podcasts" and it just sits there. I can't bring up the options menu and it won't go home when I press the home key. If I press the cancel button, Podtrapper exits.

I'll get this checked out, thanks!

FreydNot wrote:I also noticed that when searching for podcasts in the built in browser, clicking in the text search box doesn't bring up the virtual keyboard. My phone doesn't have a physical keyboard, so I couldn't search. I was able to manually type a URL and successfully subscribed to a podcast.

I noticed this as well, I'm not sure what's up there. If you click 'Home' then back to PT it should allow it to work, but I'm not sure what's causing it.

FreydNot wrote:Do you have an Android device to see this on? Would it help if I posted screen shots so you can see how it is rendering on a fairly high res device? My Vibrant is 480 x 800 pixels.

I've got a cheesy G1, so that's all I've seen it on. I'd love to see what it looks like on a high res device.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Announcements