Feature: Don't rename files!

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Feature: Don't rename files!

New postby Feature Bot on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 pm

User ofutur submitted the following feature request:

Don't rename files!

Vote for your favorite features
Feature Bot
Magic Bot

Don't rename files!

New postby ofutur on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 pm

It's impossible to manage podcasts from both the BB and a desktop application when files are renamed.
ofutur

Re: Feature: Don't rename files!

New postby marwatk on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean. While I could definitely use friendlier names, most podcasts don't publish usable file names, so I'd have to pick an arbitrary name for them anyway (likely involving the title or something). The issue then becomes dealing with podcasts that publish the same title repeatedly, and keeping track of the differences, etc. Anyway, I could definitely use friendlier file names, but I'm not sure it would help with the desktop stuff. What did you have in mind?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 am

It's mostly a problem for music files or files that you intend to keep.
I'm using Songbird to manage my music. That includes downloading music podcasts.
If I'm subscribed to the same podcast, both on PT and SB, then I will have different filenames for the same files and won't know which one I already have downloaded unless I compare the lists on both my BB and the computer. Once I've found out, I will have to rename the files downloaded by PT so that they match what's online.

Are podcasts using the same filename over and over more the rule or the exception? Is that mostly for videos?

Maybe there could be a switch in PT to enable file renaming and we would turn that on for problematic podcasts.
As a next step I would see a file naming configuration utility made available in PT with variables such as name, author, title, date, time, etc. which would produce filenames such as BBC_19.01.2010_0717.mp3 or Extrawelt_I.love.popcorn_31.12.2009.mp3
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 am

I'm slightly less concerned since I've discovered that Songbird keeps the original filename when adding files to my local library despite the fact that they have a different name in my PT folder.
ofutur

Return to Feature requests