Feature: Listen to podcast while it is downloading

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

Feature: Listen to podcast while it is downloading

New postby Feature Bot on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:46 pm

User FreydNot submitted the following feature request:

Listen to podcast while it is downloading

Vote for your favorite features
Feature Bot
Magic Bot

Listen to podcast while it is downloading

New postby FreydNot on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Assuming a podcast that is 60 minutes long and is 60MB total size (so 1MB = 1 minute of audio)...

Using the above fictional podcast, if PT had downloaded 2MB of the podcast when you start playing it, you will only hear the first 2 minutes of the podcast. PT will indicate the rest of the episode is downloading, but the player will stop when it hits the point in the file where the download had progressed when play was initiated.

If you are configured such, PT will stop the download and delete the episode when this false ending point is reached.

During playback, the player will indicate the percentage played as if the duration of the podcast were truncated to match how much of the file was downloaded when playback was initiated.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a new feature.

If playback during download is not intended to work, it should be locked out until the download is completed.

Does my description make any sense?
FreydNot

Re: Feature: Listen to podcast while it is downloading

New postby marwatk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Hmm, this isn't how it works on mine, wonder if others are seeing the same thing? (Carrier issue?). Anyone else seeing this?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby DMouse on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:09 pm

It does the same thing on my BB.

When I start playing after it is partially downloaded it only plays the part that was already downloaded when it started. The file downloads completely and shows the size it is supposed to be but the length is too short. Even re-downloading the file doesn't fix it. If the file is opened in BBMP it plays all the way through to the end.

I'm using PodTrapper 2.5.0 on a BB 9530 with OS5 on VZW
DMouse

New postby FreydNot on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 pm

The latest beta 2.6.0 seems to have mostly addressed this.

When buffered playback is set to off, playback will stop at the point where playback was initiated (as before) but now it will start playing properly after the entire file is downloaded.

With buffered playback set to on, everything works exactly as it should.

Thanks so much for fixing this.

Is there any down side to turning buffered playback on? If not, maybe it should default to on (or remove the off option).
FreydNot

New postby arkolbus on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:50 am

FreydNot wrote:Is there any down side to turning buffered playback on? If not, maybe it should default to on (or remove the off option).

At some point it was causing issues for some devices. Not sure if it still does, but its nice to have the option just in case.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:30 pm

FreydNot wrote:Is there any down side to turning buffered playback on? If not, maybe it should default to on (or remove the off option).

'on' uses slightly more memory (about 200k when playing back files), but other than that the issues are model and OS specific. Some phones don't like it on (memory errors, media player leaks, etc), and some won't work properly without it (basically any CDMA phone running 5.0 or later will have issues without it, though seemingly at random). I'm still working out which is which, but at the moment it defaults to 'on' for most CDMA devices, and 'off' for most GSM ones. I'm always looking to improve that detection, though, so let me know what you guys see.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests