v0.1.22 Weather Error Msg

v0.1.22 Weather Error Msg

New postby Klotar on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:19 pm

On v0.1.22's Weather Tool, when editing a location (such as the default Denver one) to the desired location, I get a "Error updating weather data! java.lang.NullPointerException" message.

At first glance, I am led to believe that I did not enter the City, Province (state) and/or Country [code] in correctly, causing the error. But after trial and error, I do find that the weather works and is updating even though I get the error message. I can tell this because the Reporting Weather Location isn't exactly the same as my Display Name.

Aside from fixing the error message, I'd perhaps suggest somehow letting the user know the correct format to use (i.e. 2 letter prov/state abbreviations, 2 letter country codes, commas or no commas after the city name, how to handle multi-word cities, etc.). In some cases, city name only works, in others it does not and needs the prov/state code.

e.g. Winnipeg MB CA seems to work, but so does Winnipeg

Vancouver seems to pick Vancouver BC but what if I wanted Vancouver WA?

A dialog box to confirm multiple matches might be nice, so if I typed Vancouver, the box would confirm which Vancouver OR ask me to select which one I wanted. PS - Vancouver WA works, I am just giving an example.
Klotar

Re: v0.1.22 Weather Error Msg

New postby marwatk on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't tracked down what's cuasing it yet, but it appears to be cosmetic only (the error doesn't actually break anything).

Google is the backend weather service with it, and they'll take just about anything, and try to use the most popular case if it's ambiguous. The more specific versions (city, state/province or even zip codes) will yield guaranteed results, though.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can help with anything else.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: v0.1.22 Weather Error Msg

New postby Klotar on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks, I did notice it seemed to not have an impact on the actual results, but didn't see similar posts here so I just wanted to report it as a bug.
Klotar

Return to Bugs and help